Monday, October 02, 2006

So Anyway...

I had an email this morning from my New Jersey Cousin wherein she mentioned that, from the sound of things, we had been very busy. She got that right.

When school starts right after Labor Day we have a couple weeks to transition from the Summer Routine to the School Routine. Because we started late, all the extracurricular activities started at the same time. I wasn't prepared for that. Compound that with all the Wedding hooha and some big projects for the Parents Association that sort of just erupted out of nowhere and it's all been a little much. For two weeks now I have been making up the evening menu from whatever is in the fridge at the time. That is so not how we do things around here.

Aside from church yesterday, we didn't go anywhere this weekend. It was a leisurely sabbathy rest. It was exactly what I needed, allowing me to slow my pace enough and look around. I realized that much has been accomplished. Those homekeeping things that most easily rage out of control had been tamed. I planned a menu for the week. I caught up on correspondence. Bills were pungled on time. Everything is as it should be.

So I started this morning feeling very perky about the week to come. There was one Parent Association project to put to bed and I ran into all the right people at drop-off this morning to make that happen. I have a clear vision about how to best use my time while The Child is at school (which amounts to even more time than before because she is basically at school until 4 Monday through Thursday. Gotta say, I like it). I am going to write this week and not just on my blog. I'm going to pick the last of the grapes. (HMOG, were those things prolific this year or what?) And I'm also going to find a good book to read because I need of the balm of good literature. I might even bake cookies.

14 Comments:

Blogger Unknown opined...

For two weeks now I have been making up the evening menu from whatever is in the fridge at the time. That is so not how we do things around here.

Wow, that's the only way we do things around here! ;) Well, usually I think about what's in the fridge while driving home, decide if the weather will allow me to BBQ, (if yes, then it's easy - some meat on the grill, a salad, and call it dinner), and go from there.

October 02, 2006 12:35 PM  
Blogger Eric opined...

mmm Cookies, I like tolhouse and snickerdoodles

October 02, 2006 12:45 PM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

If by chance you run out of things to do, or want to tackle something that is not organized, please come to Florida, I have LOTS to keep you busy!

October 02, 2006 2:17 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Gina, When I have a plan for dinner I can enjoy the process. If I'm trying to figure it out as I go along it makes me crazy. I can, on the other hand, ignore the dust bunnies under the furniture for extended spells.

Yes, honey, I know. It'll probably be Tollhouse. And you can't have any until after dinner. (tee)

Well, gee, Kendall, if your avatar is the view from your place, you just might be able to persuade me!

October 02, 2006 2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I love it when you say "hooha."

October 02, 2006 3:44 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I know, Poodle.

October 02, 2006 3:50 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

I'm with Gina that's how we do it here as well, very rarely do we plan very far ahead...

October 02, 2006 5:51 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Well, far be it from me to tell anyone how to live their lives but seriously, I bet if you tried it (menu planning, that is) you'd be astonished at all the free time and lack of hassle that would ensue. But I love you both anyway.

October 02, 2006 6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Mealtime has become much easier since I went on TWO diets..I wasn't getting enough to eat on just one.

October 02, 2006 7:18 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Dude, I so hear that. Once I went on this "liquid only" diet. Hello? Meat is not liquid.

October 02, 2006 7:43 PM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

Yayyy!! Someone else who plans meals! Cool! Although I should say I don't make weekly plans. There's usually one plan for Monday and Tuesday, then another plan for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday... and then the weekend usually takes care of itself.

And yes, the structure of the planning is actually very freeing.

October 03, 2006 12:22 AM  
Blogger Grish opined...

What is this Menu Planning you speak of? What a strange concept. I did however try something like that once.

What I would do was make a whole lot of something (usually Hamburger Helper) on Sunday night and then freeze enough to last till the next Sunday. Of course I was in College and I only did this when I grew tired of Ramen Noodles and Crackers... Might not be exactly what you were meaning but it did take some planning ahead. :P

October 03, 2006 12:52 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

D - Very cool. Now we have a club!

G - A plan is a plan. (Ya fracking toaster).

October 03, 2006 6:26 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Not that I'm against menu planning, mind you. I've even tried it. Problem is, the planned menu usually gets tossed out the window when a) one of us ends up working late (often the case) or b) I forget to take out of the freezer whatever I was supposed to take out of the freezer (quite often the case). My daughter, on the other hand, swears by menu planning. Don't know how she got so organized. I think I make up my menu at the grocery store. Whatever I toss into the cart is pretty much what's on the menu that week. I like spontaneity. :)

October 03, 2006 11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home