Wednesday, October 04, 2006

It's My Blog and I'll Rant if I Want To

I meant what I said the other day about giving politics a rest but a) who was I kidding and 2)I just have this one thing to get off my chest and actually, it's not about politics so much as something about which I feel very strongly: personal responsibility.

If The Child messes up, misses a curfew or whatever, she gets in way less trouble if she just owns up and accepts her fate. When she starts lobbing lame excuses she faces even stiffer penalties. The good news is that, while she doesn't always make the right choices, there is evidence that she is capable of accepting responsibility for her mistakes. And as her mother, that gives me hope.

It is precisely this inability to accept responsibility that has me so cheesed off at Rep. Mark Foley and Dennis Hastert. As for Foley, he has some new excuse every day: he's alchoholic, he's gay, he was abused by a clergyman. Geez, dude. Enough!

Alcoholism is a sad disease. Abuse is a horrible thing. Being gay? Please. I have known a couple of gay people. Being gay doesn't make you a predator. The fact is, none of it matters. I don't give a fig why Foley lacked moral decency and common sense. (I would argue that his predatory behavior had way more to do with power and control than with sex). The point is, he screwed up, he screwed up big time and the only acceptable words out of his mouth are "I'm sorry, I screwed up, I deserve whatever y'all decide to dish out". Period. Does he need rehab and therapy? Probably. Still doesn't excuse what he did. Not. At. All.

As to Dennis Hastert, who has been running around, covering his arse and saying "I didn't know! I was duped!" Hey! Dude! You are the fracking Speaker of the House. If you didn't know, you should have. Or you did know and you put political control ahead of moral leadership. Either way, you screwed up, too. And you should be ashamed. The Washington Times is right. You should resign.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Wow, same brain cells indeed. (I changed my headline after you read it; I think it's kind of cute if I may say so.)

And THAT is a most fabulous picture of you in your profile, although I will still miss the girls.

October 04, 2006 10:24 AM  
Blogger HORIZON opined...

well said Lorraine!
Love the new profile too :)

October 04, 2006 11:30 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

JP, Please tell me you aren't also wearing capri jeans, black pumps and a red cardigan that you stole from your neighbor. Because that would be too weird.

And the girls will always be here for you.

Charlie, I know. But at least she'll be able to live with herself.

Horizon, Thanks and thanks.

October 04, 2006 11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I did not steal the red cardigan from my neighbor. It was a gift.

October 04, 2006 11:59 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

Amen! I made a point in my class last night that there a lots of alcoholic gay men who DON'T prey on kids! One has nothing to do with the other.
I'll bet you anything that Foley is SO not in treatment. He's just hiding under the porch.

October 04, 2006 12:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Love the photo. I can totally picture you in the described attire, too! :) Oh... your post... very well put.

October 04, 2006 1:18 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

I feel dirty and weird when the Washinton Times makes sense to me.

October 04, 2006 4:23 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Amen Corner: This stuff transcends politics. I'd be just as outraged at this lame ass crap if the people in question were Dems. There is no justification for excusing this behavior.

Iwanski: It'll pass.

October 04, 2006 5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home