Wednesday, September 27, 2006

I'm Going to Make Another Pot of Coffee

The "Family Communication Envelope" comes home on Wednesday. This is either a blessing or a curse. It is a blessing because it is always important to know what is going on at school. It is a curse because there is inevitably a form to fill out. I've complained before about paperwork and yep, I'm about to do it again.

Sometimes I have the paper thing under control. When it is, I'm operating on the "do it now" principle wherein debit slips are entered right away into Quicken (rather than riding around in my wallet for a week), permission slips or what-have-you are signed and returned the day they arrive, RSVPs are respondez s'il vous plait'd to immediately and there is never, ever a pile of papers in my desk drawer. This would not be one of those times.

I spent about 3 hours yesterday mucking about with papers and probably have another 2 hours worth today. I like to think that the bliss of having everything is duly registered, signed, entered and/or written on the calendar will inspire me to stay on top of it. I know better. But a girl can dream.

In other news:

Sports

The first volleyball game of the season is tonight. The genius who schedules these things has us at a north-end community center at 5pm. 5 fracking p.m. Query: how the frack do people who work 9-5 ever get their children to anything? The map says it's a 17 minute drive. That assumes that I-5 is unoccupied on a weekday. I-5 is never unoccupied. Therefore, we will be leaving at 4pm and pray to the car gods we make it in time.

Also, no one gives a flying fig about the Mariners. I'm not even reading the "postgame alerts" when they arrive in my email box. What a disappointing season. As for football (which I really don't care about that much but I'm going to have to because the Ms suck) Shaun Alexander has a bad foot and is out for a few weeks. Not to worry. He's a fine player but the Seahawks are perfectly capable of winning without him. It's not great news but the 12th man is not worried. Know who the 'Hawks are playing on Sunday? Da Bears. (Lorraine waves to Lefty Tude & Iwanski. Hi Chicago!)

Entertainment

"Gilmore girls" was good. Not great, not awesome, but perfectly acceptable. JP did a live blog of the premiere and I can add nothing to his assessment. It is still one of the best shows on television and seriously, even with new writers, to maintain that sort of continuity in this medium is pretty remarkable. So snaps to them.

Also, we have a new episode of "Project Runway" tonight. I'm excited. I'm shallow. But I look fabulous in Edy's shoes.

Enough of this frivolity. I have 412 pounds of paper to dispatch so as to be ready for the 12 pounds that will billow back in when The Child gets home from school.

Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I actually went to my first and probably last Mariner game of the season last night with a girlfriend from choir. As they were losing miserably to Oakland, we stayed relunctantly until the 7th inning stretch so we could sing "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" whereupon we left abruptly so as to get home at a reasonable hour. These days I only go to the ballgames for the opportunity to buy a crummy $5 polish dog and a $7 beer.

Submitted by your sometimes sports desk reporter,

the nayb

PS - Can't wait for PR tonight!

September 27, 2006 11:54 AM  
Blogger HORIZON opined...

l handed in three A4 papers for Sam today at nursery- they had been piling up and l hate that. My desk is always a mess- my husband doen't know how l can find things. lol At least my oldest can take care of his own paperwork now he's at uni. :)

September 27, 2006 12:30 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Neighb, If only football had a mid-game songfest...sorry you had to endure a crappy game but that's about all the boys are handing out this year.

Horizon, I feel your pain. I just found a newspaper article about a friend that I have been meaning to send to Dame Judi. It's only been hanging around for 3 months!

September 27, 2006 12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Seems like the volleyball season just ended... that season must last longer than professional basketball.

I just remembered I need to go RSVP to something... I think it was due last week. Yikes.

September 27, 2006 3:43 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

JP, Not quite. There are 2 volleyball seasons, one for fall, one for spring. But considering that practise for spring starts shortly after the fall season ends, yeah, pretty much a long season.

As for the other, hope they'll still let you in.

September 27, 2006 3:46 PM  
Blogger Allan opined...

Ahhh! Paperwork! Noooo....! Coffee is a good thing, isn't it? *grinds teeth*

Mid-game songfest for the NFL? Ask Janet Jackson why this is not such a great idea...and De Bears gonna mash da Hawks!

September 27, 2006 3:47 PM  
Blogger Lex Lata opined...

Ha! Crom laughs at your car gods.

September 27, 2006 4:52 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Allan, You make a fine point. If there were a mid-game songfest in the NFL one would have to insist on everyone remaining clothed.

As to the outcome of Sunday's game...ha.

September 27, 2006 7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home