Saturday, September 30, 2006

Attention: Calling Bloggy Buddies in The Dallas Area

If you have nothing else going on this weekend, high tail it over to my friend Payson's. He's having a garage sale that is only a garage sale because he is selling things out of his garage. But seriously, when have you ever gone to a "garage sale" that looked like this?


Seriously.

When I was down in Dallas last year, Payson and I had lots of conversations about stuff. He has a lot of stuff and he is a whiz at finding great stuff for terrific prices and has always had something of an, "I know I could do something with this" attitude. Which, of course, he could because he has great sensibilities and a decided flair for form and style and all that hooha.

But he started to realize that he had too much stuff. We talked about the William Morris "have nothing in your home which you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful" concept. And he started "editing". He has sent me boxes of things, most of which I have kept because they filled a need. And some things I've passed on to bless others. Because that's the deal.

And now, after a good year of digging and sorting and purging and flinging, he has a garage full of really beautiful things that he doesn't need and he is selling them. So you should go see if there isn't a Ralph Lauren pillow slip or a set of china there that has your name on it. And if you go, make sure you tell him I sent you. (And you other bloggy folk, if you know people in Dallas give them a heads up, won't you? Because this is a heck of an opportunity).

Here's his Craig's List ad.

7 Comments:

Blogger Lorraine opined...

It's a bit of a drive, Charlie, but I'm sure you could pick up something lovely for the apartment. Maybe a Limoges Ned trap.

September 30, 2006 11:15 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I just sent the ad to my friend, Danny, in Dallas. I have a feeling Danny would love some Payson stuff.

September 30, 2006 2:51 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Hmmmm....

September 30, 2006 2:53 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

Wait. That didn't sound right. . .

September 30, 2006 4:55 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

I couldn't really tell from the pictures but I think the designs on the vases there is the same or close as my grandmother's vases. That's kinda cool...

September 30, 2006 5:19 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Grish, could well be...he has quite a few heirloom things in the sale. Although I'm pretty sure he didn't steal them from your grandmother.

September 30, 2006 6:25 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Apparently, they had a particularly nasty infestation in 1802. A certain M. Henri Joues-Rondes invented the "piege de porcelaine", which was used to great effect in capturing most of the Neds. Some Neds escaped to Marsaille, where they started a chip shop, but the rest were bundled on a ship bound for Iceland. Unfortunately, there was a storm at sea and the ship broke up off the coast of Scotland. The rest is your history.

October 01, 2006 8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home