Friday, May 05, 2006

Speaking Truthiness to Power Redux


If you like George Bush then Steve Colbert was too rough on him the other night. If you don't like George Bush then it was a bloody brilliant piece of satire.

If you think that Sadaam was behind 9/11 and had WMDs then Ray McGovern is a traitor or a nut job or some such. If you believe that by manipulating intelligence the Administration lied to start a war of aggression then Ray McGovern is something of a hero.

Mr. Colbert has been accused of going too far. Perhaps he did. But President Bush has surrounded himself with sycophants and yes people. He doesn't read newspapers. The vast majority of his "public" appearances are in front of groups that have been vetted to make sure they are supporters. In short, he lives in an ivory tower. One wonders if he even knows that he has the lowest approval ratings in the history of low approval ratings.

Mr. Colbert's words may have stung and I doubt the President liked what he heard. 68% of the nation don't like what they see. I'm fine with W have to confront that, if even just for a few uncomfortable moments.

Ray McGovern, the former CIA analyst under Reagan and Bush 1 yesterday asked Donald Rumsfeld why he lied about WMDs in Iraq. Mr. McGovern was on "To The Point" today and I would encourage you to listen to this exchange. But what is perhaps most important is when he reminds us that these guys work for us. It is not impertinent, disrespectful or unpatriotic to ask them to account for themselves, whether that questioning is done in the guise of a court jester or a little child in a crowd saying, "But he has no clothes on!"

I finally saw "Good Night and Good Luck" last week. While we wait for our Edward R. Murrow to show up, at least we have people like Stephen Colbert and Ray McGovern. I applaud them both.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I'm in the peanut gallery, and I'm applauding. And I have no idea what a peanut gallery is.

May 05, 2006 3:08 PM  
Blogger Lex Lata opined...

There comes a cathartic moment in a lot of strategy and simulation games when you just know things are finally going your way. You can feel it. Your galactic economy is finally self-sustaining, the orcs can't seem to send more than a few piddling units against you at a time, your Roman citizens are happy and productive--whatever. The game isn't over, but you know in your bones that you've won.

I'm beginning to get that sense right now, watching the Bush Administration get pounded week after week, both by substantive bad news (Iraq, gas prices, Rove, Goss, etc.) and by vocal critics (Colbert & McGovern, retired generals, etc.).

And I kinda feel like giggling.

May 05, 2006 5:18 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

jp, I hope it's one of the good peanut galleries. The ones with beer.

Pat, I know that game moment of which you speak. Not only am I suppressing giggles but I keep dreaming of cheese.

May 05, 2006 5:44 PM  
Blogger Display Name opined...

clap clap clap

May 05, 2006 5:52 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Yes, Charlie, thank you. Please toss a bag over to jp and while you're at it, Angela is looking a little peckish....

May 05, 2006 7:45 PM  
Blogger Diane S. opined...

At the risk of bringing an entirely too serious note into this exchange, I believe it is a true patriot's duty to be disrespectful and demand accountability from their elected officials. Democracy is a participatory thing, it's not just a priviledge, its an obligation.

As to Mr. Colbert, I thought he was brilliant, and I'm delighted to have George confronted with reality if only for a few brief moments in a much too long presidency.

May 05, 2006 10:29 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

I just watched the Colbert roast directly followed by McGovern. I have to say, I'm sort of giddy.

May 06, 2006 4:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home