Thursday, May 04, 2006

Speaking Truthiness to Power

I'm an at-home mom. I don't have a water cooler. There's a little tap in the door of the fridge but my co-workers don't gather around it. Mostly because I don't have co-workers. The Dog gets his water out of a bowl and I am so not drinking out of that thing. My point is, without the convivial banter of the office water cooler, I am not always 100% up to speed.

Consequently, when Big Ed sent me the text of Stephen Colbert's "routine" at the White House Correspondents Association dinner I didn't believe it was for real. I could believe Colbert wrote such a thing and aired it on "The Colbert Report" over on Comedy Central. But no one would really say the things he said with the President only a few feet away. I did some digging and, sho' nuff, it's for real.

His phone is so tapped.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I saw that!!!! I've never really watched his show but may have to now. Did that link also show the video of his audition tape for press secretary? If not it's up on youtube. Priceless.

May 04, 2006 2:06 PM  
Blogger Display Name opined...

Man that was great!
"re-arranging the deck chairs on the Hindenburg" lol - brilliant.

May 04, 2006 3:40 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

So freakin' funny. I watch his show when I can. I wonder if Bush does....

May 04, 2006 6:10 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I'm just wondering who about the genius who said, "Yeah, let's book him". It would appear they thought his schtick was for real.

The beauty of this moment is that W is so surrounded by sycophants and 'yes' people. He never hears what he doesn't want to hear. Then something like this happens. Won't change anything but you could tell by W's face that he wasn't comfortable. And that's a good thing, however transitory.

I would guess they'll do a lot more vetting next year.

May 05, 2006 7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home