Thursday, May 04, 2006

Can of Worms

1.


This is John Cusak as Rob in "High Fidelity". In this scene he is organizing his albums autobiographically. Meaning, as he says, "If you wanna find 'Landslide' by Fleetwood Mac you have to know that I bought it for someone in the fall of 1983 and then didn't give it to them for personal reasons".

That's the sort of thing single people can do.

When I was single my albums were sorted. Nothing sophisticated, just a tidy row of records arranged by genre and then by artist within the genre. It wasn't even alphabetical, just a convenient way of accessing quickly the music I wanted to hear, when I wanted to hear it.

I'm not naming names or pointing fingers here but those days are gone. I've tried but no matter how many cunning storage boxes I buy, no matter how clearly I label, regardless of how streamlined the order, despite how easy I try to make it for these people it still takes me 5 minutes to locate the "Moulin Rouge" soundtrack because it never gets put back under "Soundtracks".

Today I 86ed the storage boxes and moved everything into a more easily accessed bookcase. Not that it will change anything. Stacks of CDs will still pile up on the stereo until a) they fall over or 2) I can't stand it anymore. Whatever. Sometimes I leave the lens cap off the camera and that bugs other people.

2.

It has come to my attention that more than one of you are fans of Tom Waits. That's ok. I love you anyway. I don't hate Tom Waits. Chalk it up to overexposure: a too-long "writer's workshop retreat" and a self-important stooge that was trying to woo me. It's not Tom's fault. I get that.




3.


I feel about Tom Waits the way I feel about clams.

There's nothing wrong with either of them, in small doses. I once nannied for a week on Martha's Vineyard and pretty much all we ate was clams. It took decades before I could even think about chowder without my throat getting small.

4.

By the way, both The Child and I totally get direct and indirect objects now. Thanks for your support.

6 Comments:

Blogger Grish opined...

Congrats on your quest for Direct Objects! They are so much better than Indirect ones don't ya' think? :P

May 04, 2006 11:28 PM  
Blogger Lex Lata opined...

Oh, man. I remember sorting my CDs by genre. Then alphabetizing by artist within each genre. Then sorting chronologically for each artist.

Now our CDs just fit randomly into two massive, unsorted genres: somewhere in the house and somewhere in the car.

May 05, 2006 6:19 AM  
Blogger Eric opined...

See Angelas Blog for my Response

May 05, 2006 8:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

My first job in college was waitressing at a Howard Johnson's restaurant. Their speciality was fried clams. We employees consumed copious quantities. I can't even look a fried clam in the eye now. I get sick just thinking of them.

May 05, 2006 8:02 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

Now would be a good time to tell the child about the "dative case" of nouns for when she studies a foreign language. (Dative noun = indirect object) It took me forever to realize that.

May 06, 2006 6:50 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Jon, You are my new personal hero. You've just saved me hours of anguish.

May 06, 2006 8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home