Tuesday, May 23, 2006

It's Quiet. Too Quiet.


Earlier today I thought something was wrong with my clock. It said 3:30 but I had accomplished entirely too much for it to be that early in the afternoon.

I love my kid. You know I do. I'm thinking about her; hoping that she's wearing sunscreen, having fun and not missing home too much. It will be great to have her home again but man, oh, man I am SO digging not having to shuttle her to and from school. Those two daily trips bookend my time and somehow, knowing that there's only so much of it, I never quite escape the feeling of Things Pending. Projects are always abandoned mid projection because I have to gather up The Dog, lock the house and run off.

I don't have to get up early this week but do because I'm so enjoying this wealth of time. To date I have edited half the chapters in The Book & caught up on my reading. I even bailed out the contents of The Child's room and removed the film of stickiness that seemed to be everywhere therein. (She is required to "clean" her room on a regular basis but about once a month its a good policy for me to go in there and toss all the stained, ragged and torn bits that accumulate. As is the way of most children, she "cleans" around this garbage but never misses it when it is gone). It now looks less like a rag and bone shop and more like a nice, airy retreat. And after 4 days in a cabin and peeing in the woods, I think she'll appreciate it. It won't stay that way, but she'll appreciate it.

And did I mention that The Spouse and I are enjoying spicy food this week? Specifically, chipotles & curry. The Child just isn't ready for that level of spiciness. We had a chipotle chili casserole-y thing last night and tonight is snapper with chipotle butter. Tomorrow night we're having mini-burgers tarted up with Thai red curry. Yum.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sling opined...

Don't we all have a tendency to "spice things up" a bit when the children are gone?

May 23, 2006 7:28 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

Yee-haw!

Praise the Lord and pass the habaneros!

May 23, 2006 8:21 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

You two are having way to much fun while the 'child' is away.

/whisper ~ I wonder if there are any kid camps around here...

May 23, 2006 9:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Good for you for enjoying the time. No guilt now, ya hear?

May 24, 2006 7:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Two of those are my recipes, no? Enjoy the 'piciness, indeed!

~BBBM

May 24, 2006 10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Lorraine, do you have any "quick, easy, healthy, and spicey" recipes? I know, I ask for a lot! *smiles*

May 25, 2006 7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home