Friday, May 19, 2006

The End of an Era. Again.

All of you who are so highly evolved that you've killed your television are to be commended. I'll now warn you that you might as well skip today's post for lo, despite my reading of books, listening to public radio and generally fancying myself a reasonably intelligent and thoughtful person, this one is all about television. In point of fact, two of my shows this week passed on into that great Syndicated Beyond and it's been a little hard for me. Tears were shed. I must vent.

I cried twice during the finale of the West Wing for 2 very specific reasons. First, because it gave me a totemic White House where a good leader, surrounded by decent people, strove to do the right thing. It was more than good television; for the last 5 years it's been a respite. I also teared up when President Bartlett handed Charlie a worn copy of the Constitution. The symbol was not lost on me. Our most cherished national document is in peril and that worries me, a lot.


My reaction to the ending of "Will and Grace" surprised me a little, though. Last night I got that odd feeling, for which there oughta be a fantastic German word, the feeling that nothing will ever be this good again. (I've also experienced this with certain books and music). It's not completely true, of course. When Mary Richards switched off the office lights for the last time who could have imagined that someday there'd be "Mad About You", "Seinfeld" and yes, "Friends". Of course there will be other good shows, so good that when they end I'll say "It's the end of an era". And I'll be right.

A television show that is smart, funny and well written is as valid as any other creative endeavor. Whether it merely entertains or goes so far as to illuminate something about the human condition it is all to the good. Plus, I don't see how an attachment to a television character like Grace Adler is any odder than admiring a fictional character like Elizabeth Bennett or Harriet Vane.

Spoiler Alert: If you TiVo-ed last night's show you'll want to stop reading now.

In the history of classic TV finale's, the finale of "Will and Grace" was no "Newhart" (which I believe to be untouchable anyway). Instead we got closure. We won't be privy to it anymore but these characters will go on and they will be just fine. Will ends up happy, Karen and Jack end up happy, Grace ends up happy. (It was a sit com after all). But before the final affirmation of the power of friendship there was a path diverging -if you will- in a yellow wood of personal choices. There was a subtlely played and authentic treatment of how friendship changes because of life circumstances. But like I said, it all ended happily with a lovely parting gift: Will's son grows up to marry Grace's daughter. And I thought that was just perfect.

So, there you go. "The West Wing" and "Will and Grace" are gone and yet another television era comes to an end. And I still have my "Gilmore girls".

6 Comments:

Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I was talking with my "Grace" last night and we both agreed that the ending of W&G was good but it was "no Newhart." Nothing could beat THAT.

May 19, 2006 2:57 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

I did Tivo Will & Grace, so I was unable to read your whole post.

I have actually NEVER SEEN The West Wing. Never seen a single episode.

I know, it's weird, for a guy as political as me, but I just never got started on it, so I never got hooked like everybody else.

I'm certain it was a great program. I was thinking about checking out the DVDs.

If you like it, I consider that quite the endorsement.

May 19, 2006 3:18 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Jon, The Newhart ending is the Everest of sitcom endings. Writers do well to not try to scale that height without adequate protection and a sherpa.

And mention of your "Grace" made me think of the other thing that got to me a little last night. I realized that all my gays are married or no longer live in Seattle or are in Blogopia. I miss being someone's "Grace".

Iwanski, So glad I put in a spoiler alert. I think you would love "West Wing". God bless DVDs. I'm thinking I'll start in on the series from the beginning myself. After I finish "Battlestar Gallactica", that is.

May 19, 2006 4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I read up to the point where you said to stop (thank you), then watched the episode and came back for your thoughts. We are in complete agreement.

May 19, 2006 7:04 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

jp, You're welcome and just know that my heart skipped a beat when you left a comment. You're back. Yeah! I missed you.

Love,

Grace

May 19, 2006 7:22 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

I tivoed Grace as well, I got to watch about half of it between work and house duty though.\

I have only watched like 3 or 4 episodes of the 'West Wing'. Just something else to add to Netflix I reckon :)

Thanks for the spoiler alert btw...

May 20, 2006 2:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home