Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Rubbing Shoulders

Volunteering for Senator Cantwell is generally of the envelope stuffing/coffee making variety but sometimes there are special treats, like yesterday's reception with Maria and her guests, John and Teresa Kerry.

We had been instructed to wear "business casual". Since I actually know what this means and was not dressed like a Mennonite I was assigned to the main lobby where I and 2 dapper gents directed guests to the event. I also got to fetch a fax (very useful) and have a chat with the new campaign press secretary (very wonky).

John Kerry wasn't my first choice in '04, nor my second. But once he was the nominee I got on board and despite my frustrations with the inability of the campaign to get ahead of Cap'n Karl and the Swift Boats, I came to really respect the man. I cried when he lost the election. So it was exciting to be in a fairly intimate gathering (maybe 150 people) to hear him speak. And he was on fire. One of my favorite bits was when he talked about values and how a thorough reading of the Gospels "and even Acts" provides no justification for cutting aid to children, continued disenfranchisement of the poor or avoiding a just solution to the immigration issue. He got a lot of laughs and yeah, he was preaching to the choir but every once in a while the choir needs a good whipping up. Can I have an "Amen"?

Here's another thing about John Kerry. He is way better looking in person than his pictures suggest. Like this very scary one that I took:



I almost didn't post this because it so doesn't do him justice. Seriously, he is really handsome. Gracious, too. I just wanted you to see how close I got to him. I even got to shake his hand.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Eric opined...

Thats my little Pookie

April 12, 2006 10:20 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

John Kerry is your little Pookie???? Since when?? Who's going to tell Teresa?

April 12, 2006 10:22 AM  
Blogger Eric opined...

No! :0 Your my little pookie wonkette

April 12, 2006 10:37 AM  
Blogger Display Name opined...

I seethe with jealosy. (Angela limps away most Gollum-like...seething)

April 12, 2006 1:57 PM  
Blogger Lex Lata opined...

Jealousy rears its ugly head here, too.

April 12, 2006 2:19 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

Doesn't it just suck to realize this guy should be the President right now?

Oh my God, it sucks.

April 12, 2006 3:08 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I'll be honest with you, Iwanski...'bout the time I snapped that photo I was starting to get a little varklepmt about that very thing. He's so NOT George Bush. Whatever faults can be laid at his feet I KNOW we would be living in a completely different world right now. I wouldn't be worrying all the time about the future The Child is going to inherit, assuming we even have that option once these clowns are done. Thanks. I'm depressed again.

April 12, 2006 3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home