Monday, February 13, 2006

Winter Games: Without a Single Smart Alecky Comment About Dick Cheney's Shooting Accident


The only thing I care about less than the Winter Olympics is the Summer Olympics. But I watch snippets. It's February. What else am I supposed to do? Normally, I would spend a Sunday evening watching "West Wing" and "Crossing Jordan" except, hello, that's the network running the Olympics.

We saw some men's short pipe (dude!) and a little luge (always fun although no one can really explain to me the athleticism required for that sport. I'm not saying I could do it but it seems like the luge and gravity do the real work). We saw Apolo Ohno win a qualifying race although apparently he fell in a subsequent race so is out of medal contention for short track (or something like that). He's a local boy, you know, so we cheer for him. Plus, except for the skanky beard both The Child and I think he is very cute.

In other news, poor Michelle Kwan has dropped out due to a recurrance of her groin injury (ouch!) and that's sad because at the tender age of 25 she's too old ever to compete in the Olympics again. (Obviously she's old. Hip and groin injuries? I just hope she understands her Medicaid policy). I like Michelle Kwan. I would have loved to see her win a gold, just for grins.

We also got to see a smidgen of a medals presentation and the gold was going to an American who was faster than some other guys doing something wintery. He teared up when the National Anthem started playing, which frankly, I would, too, in a similar situation because I'm sappy that way. Only the camera was tight on him and he started singing along and right around "so proudly we hailed" he clearly didn't know anymore of the lyrics. And the camera stayed on him the entire time so the whole world (or at least the ones with TV sets owned by people who care) knows he doesn't know the words to his own anthem.

"The Star Spangled Banner" is a pretty dumb national anthem. For sure, it's no "America", which would be my first choice. But not only do I know all the words, I can even sing it. Seems to me that part of the Olympic training should include a few music lessons, just in case. One doesn't have to sing, of course. Another option is standing silently, hand over heart or even fists raised in protest...that works, too. But if you opt for singing you should know the words. Or at least employ the old choir trick of singing "peas and carrots, peas and carrots" until you find your place again.

Speaking of sports, C(atholic) Y(outh) O(rganization) volleyball starts this week. Now The Child will be spending two evenings a week at practise. We've gone over her schedule and she's sure she can keep up with homework. The next few weeks will be a little busier, until Drama Club ends, but she loves volleyball and it wasn't even a question in her mind that she'd play. I'm supportive because she is good at it, really good. And also, if she keeps playing well maybe it will help pay for college. Maybe she could even go to the Olympics, although I think I'd then have to care about the Summer Games. Which is fine, as long as she knows all the words to the national anthem, just in case.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Not even 1 tiny smart alecky comment about the veep? You are no fun.

February 13, 2006 12:38 PM  
Blogger Viola opined...

I agree. If you don't know the words to your national anthem, it's much better to be silently moved than to try and fake it. A case in point is John Redwood. He was a Conservative Party (UK's equivalent to Republican) MP and the Secretary of State for Wales.

Of all his years as a politician, the thing he is most remembered for is the video footage of him trying to fake singing along to the Welsh National Anthem (which, as Secretary of State for the country, he should know).

It even spawned the phrase, "...about as convincing as John Redwood singing the Welsh National Anthem."

February 13, 2006 2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home