Thursday, January 05, 2006

My First Rule of '06


I was so looking forward to today because a huge chunk of it was going to be all for me. I had my little agenda all mapped out. Good little agenda. I love my little agenda. (Patting it's pointed little head).

Then I remembered a meeting at school. I considered blowing it off but did the responsible thing and checked in. It was very productive meeting and and I left around 9. The day is still looking pretty voluminous. Got home and remembered my commitment to walk The Dog when we first get home from dropping off The Child because both he and I need it. It was pouring rain but ding dong, I didn't start tubbing out over the holidays because I was eating like a pig (I really wasn't). I started tubbing out because I worked out 3, count 'em, 3 times in December. So off Dog and I went in the soaky, soaky rain. (I put my coat on the back of a chair to dry before putting it into the closet; it made a puddle).

By the time we bring our dripping selves back it's 10 o'clock and the day is admittedly starting to look a little less expansive but I still have until 3:45. And then I started answering the phone. Usually the only calls I get during the day are from telemarketers and thanks to caller ID I just ignore them. But not today. Every number was one I recognized. Every conversation was important. But it is now nearly 2 o'clock and that big, long day of mine is now, how you Americans say, shot. So that's it. New rule: unless the caller ID says it's school, I am going to try not answering the phone before noon.

I need my mornings! That's when I'm focused. I can write. I can do the homekeeping tasks, like book-keeping, that require some mental presence. Come the afternoon, other things engage my time. The Child, mostly. And making dinner. No, if I'm going to get anything non-parental accomplished in my day, morning is the time when that's going to happen. So that's my new plan. No phone calls before noon. If you're on fire, you'll have to email me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home