Tuesday, December 27, 2005

The Second Day of Christmas


Today The Child and I are going to see "The Nutcracker". The Pacific Northwest Ballet company version has sets and costumes by Maurice Sendak and it never ceases to delight, especially when the Chrismtas tree grows to gigantic proportions. We are hoping to hook up with some friends afterward for cocoa. Yum.

Tonight we will have Boxing Day cassoulet for dinner and watch another Christmas movie (we only got through 6 yesterday). I invented Boxing Day cassoulet after the first Christmas that we served goose. It is a less involved version of the classic but it does require some work. Which is why we no longer eat it on Boxing Day. I realized that I was in the kitchen cooking when everyone else was still lounging and doing the non sans jammie thing and after getting unreasonably put out because I "do and do and do for these people" I realized that rather than being a martyr I could just stop cooking and sit around on my arse, too! Hence, cold cuts on Boxing Day and cassoulet the day after.

There is a slight film of holiday cheer over the whole house, crumbs of candy cane and wine cork in The Dog's bed, bits of wrapping paper, pine needles and candle wax scattered about. I think I'll be able to better enjoy the lights on the tree if the floor doesn't go 'crunch'.

Boxing Day Cassoulet

1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 Italian sausages, sliced
4 c. water or meat stock
1 can diced tomatoes
2 whole bay leaves
1 c. cannelini beans, soaked or one can cooked beans
1 c. (or more) left over Christmas meat
½ pound ham, cubed

2 T. flour
2 T. butter
2 cans tomato sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Crumb topping:
1 c. breadcrumbs
¼ c. chopped parsley
2 cloves garlic, minced
Combine these three ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

In large saucepan sauté onion and garlic in a little olive oil. Add the sliced sausage and cook until browned. Add the stock, tomatoes, bay leaves and beans and simmer for 2-3 hours. (If using canned beans then it only need cook for 20 minutes or so).

Strew bottom of casserole with Christmas meat and ham.

Make a roux with the butter and flour, then add tomato sauce, basil and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until sauce thickens and bubbles. Add sauce to bean and sausage mixture and stir. Cook five minutes to thicken and pour the lot over the meat in casserole. Scatter top with breadcrumbs and bake for 30 minutes.

Serve with salad and lots of crusty bread.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Molly opined...

I want to see the nutcracker!!!! No presents for the next four years!!! Thank you Auntie Raine, for reading my posts even when I don't read yours. I'm a dork, I know!! Merry second day of Christmas!!!

December 27, 2005 10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home