Thursday, December 29, 2005

What is a Calling Bird Anyway?


I could spend some time researching it but I'm not really the academic type. If I can't get an answer right away from "Ask Jeeves" I pretty much move on with my life.

I started a list today of books to read in the new year, based on the NY Times Top Ten books of the year. Wanna bet I read 2 of 'em? Maybe?

I got a lot done on the book yesterday. But it is a funny thing...some months ago I felt I was really close to the end of writing the first draft and that analysis seemed completely valid until yesterday when I seemed to be surrounded by half-finished chapters and gapping holes in typed bits that said things like "RESEARCH MORE" in all caps. Did I mention that I'm really not about the research?

I have a brilliant uncle who writes books and catalogs libraries and generally knows a whole lot about a whole lot of stuff. He obviously does a lot of research. My brother got his PhD about two years ago. Talk about research. I just didn't get that gene and it's unfortunate because sometimes you just have to look stuff up in reliable sources.

Anyway, I'm going back to work now because despite the research slow-downs it feels good to see progress. I have 10 completed chapters. And it has also been a really interesting exercise to work while the whole Family is scampering around singing their little songs and scampering their little scampers. I credit my Jane Austen action figure. She smiles at me sweetly saying, "If I could do it then you can, too. And at least you have a laptop. Do you know how hard it was to keep ink off my skirts?" She's just the best.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Viola opined...

Not sure if you actually want an answer to the title question, but here goes anyway:

"Calling Birds" is an Americanization of the original "Colly Birds". Colly is a word for black. The song therefore refers to four blackbirds.

January 10, 2006 2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home