Monday, December 05, 2005

Just Sitting Here


I sit in the early morning quiet of my kitchen and can't think of a thing to say. I also can't think of a thing to do which is odd because I have things:

the ironing and mending have stacked up (and this would be the perfect opportunity to start watching the Bruce Springsteen DVDs that I just received from a friend)...

I need to make cookie dough (tomorrow is the feast of St. Nicholas and we always have a cookie decorating party)...

Monday means standard homekeeping tasks as well as book-keeping (but it's all looking pretty tidy just now...not like the other day when inexplicably The Dog got a hold of my favorite hat - a straw boater - and tore it into a bazillion minute bits of hay which were then joyfully strewn through the house)...

There are some thorny questions to ponder (such as what to get The Child for Christmas since we've already done the bike thing and the dog thing and a pony is not an option and also why, if Angelina "Homewrecker" Jolie had nothing to do with the breakup of his marriage, Brad Pitt is adopting her kids?)

I'm signed up for an on-line forum thing with Faithfulamerica.org (just have to figure out what hour of the day today I want to wax philosophic...clearly not just at the moment...)

I blame the Cat Weekend. We did indeed lie around the whole time. (We decided we were going to go to that cocktail party but it started frosting over pretty early down here and I knew they already had snow up there and it just didn't seem like the sort of adventure we needed. Plus by then I was so sogged out on laziness that the idea of changing my clothes was a little overwhelming. Sorry, Ed). There is something about not functioning at a high, or even regular level that just oozes all the will out of a person. I know it's not just me because the checker at the Safeway this a.m. was saying the same thing: when she has a busy weekend she's energized on Monday morning but she was lazy this weekend too and just couldn't quite get it together. And we agreed that there was something really wrong with that. Shouldn't good old fashioned rest and laziness reinvigorate you? Shouldn't I just be full of verve and pizazz because nothing was required of me all weekend? Apparently there is a difference between a sabbath rest and turning into a three-toed sloth. Duly noted.

Whatever. I'm going to have another cup of coffee and see if, once again caffiene lights the way to answering life's more complicated questions. Doing so will at least get me out of my chair.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home