Friday, December 23, 2005

Christmas Miracles


So, while I'm out and about today feeling very Christmasy, I realize that I have to try and find a dollhouse for The Child. Having accepted that we really weren't kidding about Santa not dealing in XBoxes, she whittled down her essentials. Everything she really wanted I had already purchased, being the stellar mom that I am. But the dollhouse request threw me. She seems a little old for that sort of thing, although there are plenty of "grown-ups" out there who are all about the minatures. And maybe she's getting a bug to be an architect or something else that will keep me in the style to which I hope to be accustomed in my dotage. And it's Christmas, for crying out loud.

I start off for U Village, knowing that it's going to be a zoo when I remember JJ telling me about a cool toy store closer in. I call her for directions, find the shop and parking in no time and there is a terrific wooden Victorian dollhouse. It took me over my budget for her but it wasn't the cost of a mortgage payment either, so I bought it. Christmas miracle #1. Then I had to make a few more grocery stops, plus pick up a pair of dress shoes for The Child since The Dog had already chewed the ones we bought for the dance a few weeks ago.

My Payless didn't have the shoes but they called and the one down the road did have and could hold them for me and they were on sale. Christmas miracle #2.

I just had to jet across the street for crabmeat at Mutual Fish (which was dreadfully crowded. They were calling for #89 when I arrived. My number was 8) and then hit the shoe store, get some bourbon and I could call it a day. I was still in a good mood but starting to flag a little when I got back in the car. And then, just as I start up the engine, Christmas miracle #3...the radio station starts to play "Christmas Wrapping" by The Waitresses, my favorite pop Christmas song.

I'm going to The Neighbor's now to see if she'll make me a yummy cocktail. I think I've earned it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home