Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Making an Ash of Myself

It's late this year. Very late. Usually we are all well into the routine of Lent by now and here it is, only the first day. Appropriate though, because even though The Groundhog predicted an early spring, there has been precious little evidence of that...some pale blossoming, a slender crocus here or there. But Lent actually means "spring"....or rather the lengthening of days toward spring. So now that it is here perhaps the rest will follow.

There's a contagion sweeping through the House this week and I got some of it so I've been home since yesterday. Nothing dire but I'm a big believer in hitting the fluids and naps at the onset rather than waiting until I feel like complete crap and it's too late to do anything but ride it out.

I'll make it out to church for my ashes...maybe one of the little parishes nearby that don't really do much for me liturgically but are convenient. Or maybe I'll rally and go to the Cathedral. It doesn't matter. Getting the ashes, marking the start of the journey, hearing the words "turn away from sin and be faithful to the Gospel"...that's the point.

Oh, I do love Lent. I've been thinking a lot about what is unbalanced in my life these days...the causes (or perceived causes, anyway...the 6 weeks of Lent ALWAYS end up revealing more than I expect). I'm grateful for this time to simplify, to be more thoughtful/prayerful about the direction of my life/the condition of my heart. Some years, I admit, I kinda phone it in. I did that last year...partly, I suppose because it turned out the real journey of last year ended up being about Suzanne's cancer diagnosis. I'm hoping for a little less drama this year...just the opportunity to be open to the Spirit, to tidy up some of the dustier cupboards of my soul and thereby uncover a new freedom (or energy or some sort of positive force like that there) to - oh, I dunno -be more present in my life and to the people with whom I share it.

Happy Lent, to those whom that applies. Happy regular ol' Wednesday in March to those who it don't.

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I loved that line: "Some years, I admit, I kinda phone it in."
Happy Ash Wednesday, my friend. I'm off to the cathedral myself to sing at the noon and the 6 pm services. Nothing but choral music of the Renaissance for us during Lent. I love it.

March 09, 2011 8:38 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Happy Ash Wednesday to you, too, Buck!

March 09, 2011 9:15 AM  
Blogger Ruth Fraser Davis opined...

Yes! and Amen! to it all.

March 09, 2011 10:11 AM  
Anonymous paid surveys opined...

Stumble upon your blog, Interesting reads. You are a good writer!

Helen from the best online paid surveys sites blog

March 27, 2014 1:37 PM  
Blogger -blessed holy socks, the non-perishable-zealot opined...

I personally wouldn't get tooo worried about what the superficial/whorizontal world thot about me, dear; I'd be much more concerned about what Jesus shall say at our General Judgment. You maaay not like me, yet, I’m not out to please you. Lemme tella youse Who (grrr - New Joisey accent):

Not sure if we're on the same page if you saw what I saw… Greetings, earthling. Because I was an actual NDE on the outskirts of the Great Beyond at 15 yet wasn’t allowed in, lemme share with you what I actually know Seventh-Heaven’s Big-Bang’s gonna be like for us if ya believe: meet this ultra-bombastic, ex-mortal-Upstairs for the most extra-blatant, guhroovaliciousness (-Austin POW!ers), pleasure-beyond-measure, Ultra-Yummy, Reality-Firepower-Addiction in the Great Beyond for a BIG-ol, kick-ass, party-hardy, robust-N-risqué, eternal-real-McCoy-warp-drive you DO NOT wanna miss the sink-your-teeth-in-the-rrrock’nNsmmmokin’-hot-deal. YES! We’ll have a high-flying, immense-impression to be an outstanding-red-marker! For God, anything and everything and more! is possible!! Meet me Upstairs, puh-leeeze. Do that for us. Cya soon, girl…

December 29, 2014 10:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Sundance Film Festival
Things to do in Edinburgh
Holy Ship
Thaipusam
BPM Festival
Carnevale Di Venezia
Things to do in Banff
Ati-Atihan
Lohri Wishes
WWE in India
Sundance Film Festival 2016
Up Helly Aa
Lohri Festival
Harbin Ice Festival
Jam Cruise
Quebec Winter Carnival
Ice Sculpture
Hogmanay 2016
Junkanoo Parade
Sundance Film festival Winners
Rainbow Serpent Festival
Holy Ship 2016
Cowboy Poetry
Dinagyang



December 25, 2015 4:12 PM  
Blogger Flash opined...

holimessages.com
holi messages
holi messages 2016
payal

holi sms 2016
holi images
holi images 2016
holi 2016 images

holi sayings 2016
holi greetings 2016
holi wishes 2016
holi festival 2016

February 29, 2016 7:37 PM  
Blogger chor chindi opined...

Happy Fathers Day 2016 Wishes

May 13, 2016 7:03 AM  
Blogger blogger opined...

Happy Diwali 2016 Wallpapers
Diwali Celebration in India
Diwali Celebration in India
Happy Diwali 2016 Songs

August 13, 2016 2:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Best Rosh Hashanah Gifts

Jewish New Year Wallpaper 2016

Rosh Hashanah Recipes

Top Rosh Hashanah Recipes Images

Rosh Hashanah History Jewish New Year

Rosh hashanah Live Wallpapers

Rosh Hashanah Wallpaper 2016

Rosh Hashanah Songs

Rosh Hashanah Recipe Jewish New Year

When is Rosh Hashanah 2016

September 07, 2016 10:13 PM  
Blogger tanya sweet opined...

First of all i am saying that i like your post very much.I am really impressed by the way in which you presented the content and also the structure of the post. Hope you can gave us more posts like this and i really appreciate your hardwork.

Chocolate Day 2017
valentine week list 2019
status for whatsapp in hindi
Good Night Wallpapers
Birthday Wishes for Brother
Happy New Year 2018 Clipart

November 16, 2016 8:26 AM  
Blogger khalid khan opined...

This is a great test blog! I personally love it and find that it

happy valentines day 2018 wishes

January 03, 2018 1:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

lucky patcher latest official

January 26, 2019 12:51 AM  
Blogger Citaent opined...

Wedding DJ, Photo Booth and Karaoke - Caught in the Act Entertainment in Eugene, Lane County, Oregon

Photo Booth - Caught in the Act Entertainment in Eugene, Lane County, Oregon

DJ, Photo Booth, Karaoke and Party Rentals - Caught in the Act Entertainment in Eugene, Lane County, Oregon

Karaoke and Event DJ - Caught in the Act Entertainment in Eugene, Lane County, Oregon

Online Booking - Best Wedding DJ, Event DJ, Birthday DJ, Party Rentals, Photo Booth and Karaoke in Eugene, Lane County, Oregon

Caught in the Act Entertainment - Wedding DJ, Event DJ, Birthday DJ, Photo Booth and Karaoke in Eugene, Lane County, Oregon



January 05, 2020 11:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

T20 World Cup 2020 Live Score is available to you easily and free of cost on your smart device that you can enjoy anytime you want.

May 12, 2020 3:10 AM  
Blogger Brad Litt opined...

The Sims Freeplay Mod Apk. It provides such amazing information

January 25, 2021 2:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home