Thursday, May 01, 2008

Well, It's May Day. Again.

This morning began as does every first of May, with The Spouse planning his parade of tanks and missiles in Red Square. I hope that I can someday buy him some armaments. He'd dearly love to have a tank. And some Marines. He really wants to have a rank of Marines standing at attention when he walks in a room. Who doesn't?

I had to put together the Maybaskets as The Child was indisposed yesterday. When we first bought our house there was very little in the way of flowering bits for our first May Day. Not to mention we had only met a few of our neighbors back then. But much has changed in 10 years and so even though I am quite a neglectful gardener and despite the first 6 weeks of "spring" being wretched and cold, there were enough blossoms to create these:


I think they look very pretty.

The Child, as was to be expected, tried to get out of going to school today. I mentioned that since from 4pm yesterday she was fit enough to argue with me, I suspected she could handle school. She countered that there was a test today for which she had not studied, to which I replied that if that was the case perhaps she would have been better served studying yesterday afternoon rather than watching "Return of the Jedi" for the 412th time.

"Oh, fuh-ine, I'll go to school," she huffed.

Sing it with me..."she's the worst mother in the world"...waah, waah" ...

She was over it by the time she needed to deliver her fleurs.



The Rabbi's Wife saw us as she was returning home from her work-out and gave a friendly wave. She knew what we were up to. But otherwise, the mission was accomplished. And when I mean "mission accomplished" I mean that the flowers were delivered on time and, with that one exception, in secret. You know, accomplished successfully. I clarify, less you be confused by the infamous moment which today celebrates its 5th anniversary:

To paraphrase Inigo Montoya, "I do not think that phrase means what you think it means".

Or in the sentiment JP once gracefully penned, "George Bush is a jackass".

Returning to happier, more May-like thoughts. My lilacs are in bloom.
I adore lilacs. And over at the coffee shop you'll find a video which is my theme song for the day.

It's a beautiful morning, full of blossom and chirping and that odd but insistent bright orb in the sky which seems to be trying to coax my roses. I think it's a good omen.

Labels: , , , ,

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

He's still a jackass.

Pretty flowers. Pretty Child. Not jackasses.

May 01, 2008 10:40 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

He really is. I read that poem you wrote every day and every day I say to myself, "Yep, it's still true".

May 01, 2008 11:09 AM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

Well you know... watching Return of the Jedi is WAY more therapeutic than studying for a test.

Pretty blooms btw!

May 01, 2008 11:53 AM  
Blogger sfoofie opined...

yay may baskets!!

May 01, 2008 12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Every year I open my front door on May 1, hurriedly on my way to the car to go to work. I'm usually thinking about how I'm running late, missed breakfast, need to make my first meeting on time, etc.

And every year on May 1, I am stopped in my tracks by a little can filled with fresh flowers, greens and herbs. This immediately makes me smile, stop rushing, and realize someone loves me, loves this day, loves this world. And somehow the sentiment stays with me all day long.

I wish every day were May Day.

Thank you, my Darling Naybs, for my lovely annual surprise.

xo nayb

May 01, 2008 1:22 PM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

Okay so I grew up doing the same thing on May day. But if I explain that to people down here they think it is bizarre. Is this May Day flower tradition just in the PNW?

May 01, 2008 1:51 PM  
Blogger Eric opined...

OK that is a great picture of the Boof hiding behind the flowers

May 01, 2008 3:30 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

I want to know how that sweet child ended up with a horrible mother like you! secret flowers....sweet girl.

Neener, neener I have a dandelion!!! I named it GW...as in a noxious weed

May 01, 2008 3:56 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Stop it Uncle Twisi. You're spoiling her.

Yay! Sfoofie!

You're so welcome, Neighb. I'm glad it makes you so happy!

Sage, the tradition dates back to the ancient Romans and Druids so it's not like we PNW folks made it up.

Isn't it, though? I was quite pleased with that one myself, honey.

Lord knows it isn't fair, Rosie. Now go give a good yank on that dandelion and throw him into the compost bin where he belongs.

May 01, 2008 4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (Note no W)

HO HO HO HE HE HE HA HA HA

Thanks for the laugh.

Peaace

:+}

May 01, 2008 5:55 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

The neighbor's comment made me smile. :)
That's a grand tradition you have there.
You know,a tank would make a very practical Father's day gift.You can park them pretty much anywhere you want.

May 01, 2008 6:02 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

That's President Jackass to you.

May 01, 2008 6:13 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Anonyba, it's why I'm here.

Sling, I know, right? Made me happy. And I appreciate the input about the tank. Hadn't thought of it like that and since we're actually going to be in CA on Father's Day, this would be the year to make a bigger than normal splash, don'tcha think?

May 01, 2008 6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

The Child should not be penalized (hee hee) for her decidedly good taste in films. Truly you are the worst mother in this or any world. 'Cept for maybe Dagobah because some of those moms are really horrible.

May 01, 2008 6:24 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

Loved the Inigo Montoya reference! LOL!

Happy May Day, Rainey! :)

May 01, 2008 7:26 PM  
Blogger Leah opined...

I wonder why I never heard of May Day? Next year, we're totally delivering flowers to the neighbors. The kids jump on the chance to do anything in 'stealth'.

Want to trade kids for a day? I kinda forced my kids to watch Return of the Jedi once & they were just not interested. Broke my heart.

May 02, 2008 7:04 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Duly noted, Iwanski. Sometimes I'm so disrespectful.

Hat, I can always ship her to you.

Happy May Day, MHP! And I think it's essential to work in a Princess Bride reference every week or so. Have fun stormin' the castle!

I am mystified about the lack of May Day knowledge in the world, Leah. But I'm glad to know you're getting on board. As for the kids, I'd be happy to trade but I suspect that your young 'uns just fail to carry the Geek Gene and there's no therapy for that yet.

May 02, 2008 7:19 AM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

Lilacs are my absolute favorite.

May 05, 2008 10:11 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Mine too, CB, mine too.

May 05, 2008 10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home