Thursday, July 12, 2007

Yes. It Was Hot.

Yesterday was the hottest July 11 on record in Seattle. How hot? 97° was the official temp, but The Spouse said it was 99° here. Of course, we have our thermometer on the south side of the house. So let's stick with 97° just for the sake of discussion.

No. I'm not going to complain.

I'm not a big fan of the heat and I've never been a 'slather on the cocoa butter and let's go sunning near a shiny body of water until our bones are tanned' kinda gal. (Which is why, I'm sure, I possess such a youthful appearance despite the nearing of the half century mark. Well, that and the portrait in the attic that is steadily growing older).

But I am not going to complain. I'm not going to complain because it's all about perspective. The way I see it, there is only the most remote of possibilities that it will get that hot again this summer. For why? Because we have all those mountains and ocean fronty things and such and the weather just changes too much. We don't get hot months, we get random hot days. Chances are it will not get as hot here again as it did yesterday. Which means anything lower than 97 is going to feel downright balmy. (Just like "cold" doesn't mean the same thing now that I know what it's like to sit in a dark house without heat for 4 days in December).

And you know what else? As far as I'm concerned it supposed to get hot in the summer. If it doesn't, well, then it doesn't feel very summery, does it?

Tomatoes don't ripen.

Roses don't bloom and bloom and bloom.

There are things to drink that seem silly and light-weight in November. Gin and tonic, the quintessential summer drink. Mojitos, too. Crisp white wines. These are the things you drink in summer and they taste spectacular!

Bees don't bumble amid the lavender.

If it's not hot you don't have al fresco dinners. And al fresco dinners have a lovely way of stretching into fine apres al fresco dinner conversations.

No. I rather enjoy the random super hot day the same way I enjoy the surprise snowfall that sticks. Because stuff like that just doesn't happen around here that much, even with global warming.

I will say that I have decided that oscillating fans in the bedroom ought not oscillate. And here's why. If you are sleeping with a dog that occasionally yips in his sleep and a Spouse that snores, add in an oscillating fan and you have a recipe for a sleepless night. The fan needs to be arranged just so and set on "blow" so that it wafts it's cooling love over the three hot bodies that are lying on top of the covers. That way, the lightest sleeper of the group is able to make the sound of the fan a part of her rhythm and finally fall asleep rather that experiencing this:

(nodding off, almost there)....yip um....Schoooooooooooooosh....Snort-gark-SNORT....shoooo....(oooo(nodding off)...ooooSchoooooooooooosh...yip um grrrr...

All. Frakkking. Night. Long.

But other than that, I'm not going to complain. I complained back in the summer of '87, when it didn't rain from May until October. Now that was unpleasant. It never got super dooper hot, it just didn't rain. Everything got dirty and brown and dusty. And the moss on my Northwest born and bred back dried up and that made me really cranky. But a couple of hot summer days? That is as it should be.

"But it's too hot to do anything", comes the complaint.

"Exactly," says I, smiling serenely. If it's that hot, don't move. Drink something cold, stick your feet in a bucket of ice if you must, fill the paddle pool and frolic. Read under a tree. Eat some ice cream. Hot days are God's little way of saying, "Enough with the heavy lifting". (And yes, it sux if you actually have a job that requires heavy lifting in the dog days of summer but I don't and so I am selfishly waxing poetic).

The final fabulous thing about hot days? Cold food. Crisp food. Fruity food. Spicy food that makes you forget. Grilled food that didn't warm up the house because it was, well, grilled. So you know what that means, right? I know it's been pretty hot lots of places this week and we could all veer toward grumpiness. So let's have a blogluck instead.

I'm making a big bowl of gazpacho and some Korean short rib kabobs. The wine is chilling and the citronella candles are lit. What are you bringing?

Labels: ,

49 Comments:

Blogger rosemary opined...

The usual dessert. Animal cookies with white & pink frosting and sprinkles. I can also bring an appetizer, Quaker cheese rice cakes (cheese falvored that is). I'm gonna be late because it was 97 here yesterday and it is going triple digits today so I'm gonna take a nap because I have been in a really bad/weird mood and I don't want to ruin the fun and I love gazpacho.

July 12, 2007 10:08 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

The good news, Rosie? I have hamocks strung up on the north side of the house where it's shady. You can snooze there.

July 12, 2007 10:10 AM  
Blogger Molly opined...

Emma and I watched Gilmore Girls for 8 hours yesterday. Alecia (best friend of Sister) gave Emma seasons 2-6 on DVD for her birthday. Our house was cold, we had nothing to do and Emma had come back from the dentist with 15 cavities and a completely numb mouth. So we sat inside and 'wasted' the day. Emma actually put on a sweater at some point.

July 12, 2007 11:03 AM  
Blogger Eric opined...

I got some of my BBQ sauce and baby back ribs. And a bottle of Gin. any Tonic or limes?

July 12, 2007 11:05 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Tons of limes, honey. Bottom of the fridge.

July 12, 2007 11:07 AM  
Blogger Seattle Coffee Girl opined...

Chicken mango sausages from TJ's for the grill and Otter Pops.

July 12, 2007 11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I'm bringing the music, on account of I don't cook and if I did you'd be better not to eat it.

I'll make a few mixtapes of summer songs from the 80's, including some a-ha, Thompson Twins, and be sure to include "Borderline."

July 12, 2007 11:33 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

SCG: Yum. I want the blue Otter Pop! The later the party goes, the funnier that blue tongue is going to be.

JP: Perfect! (And you can bring some beer...can't have too much of that).

July 12, 2007 11:52 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Molly, Aw. "Gilmore girls"...back when it was, uh, "Gilmore girls". Excellent.

July 12, 2007 11:53 AM  
Blogger Eric opined...

REmember the Gilmore girls when they almost got rescued from the Island but at the last minute Gili uh Rory screwed it up?

July 12, 2007 12:20 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I'm going to bring a plane ticket to Iceland, prefereable the northern part. You know how I feel about the heat.

July 12, 2007 12:22 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

My favorite "Gilmore girls" was the one where the big Hollywood producer was stranded on the Island and they put on that big show setting "Hamlet" to "Carmen". That was awesome.

Jon, You can go to Iceland but you have to stop by with some watermelon dacs first!

July 12, 2007 12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Well since I am making the haul to your house where it is cooler than Dallas I am bringing the Black bean salad to go with Eric's baby back ribs and what else? the Margarita's you silly. you likey frozen or on the rocks?

July 12, 2007 2:35 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Oh, Dena, you sure know the way to my heart...black beans AND margaritas? Si! Si! And I'll take 'em anyway you're makin' 'em, but please, no salt on the rim.

July 12, 2007 2:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Sorry I'm late, spent the day sitting baby niece Clara and pretending she was mine. But woohoo! I brought chips and clamdip.
Here, scootch over a bit. Ahhhh! Hey is that my mom in the hammock? We should totally put shaving cream in her hand.

July 12, 2007 3:35 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Geez, Hat, I thought you'd never get here. Tee. That'd be funny. 'Cept she looks so comfy and she brought all these nice cookies...ya really think we oughta? (snicker)

July 12, 2007 3:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

And look here! I just happen to have a feather in my hat. Oh this is going to come back to bite me hard right on the ol' keesterooni.
Where the hell is everybody?

July 12, 2007 4:14 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Hat, she is so going to ground you! The Spouse and JP are making a beer run because Sling and them are all coming after work. Aw, geez, will you look at that? The Child has scarfed nearly all the baby back ribs...where is my cell phone?

July 12, 2007 4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

mmmff..gurm...annyhut...gurmda shhvng..eem...mft?

July 12, 2007 4:31 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Don't talk with your mouth full, dear. And Auntie Hat is just going to play a little prank on her mommy. And if you ever do the same thing to me I'll...oh, honey? Can you hear me? We need more ribs.

July 12, 2007 4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

We're back with the beer. And we brought some more ice too, 'cuz we figured the first three bags would've melted by now.

July 12, 2007 4:33 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Well then who the hell did I just call and ask to bring ribs?

July 12, 2007 4:35 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

I'm bringing a deli platter.
Salami and smoked meats,sardines and oysters,Swiss and American cheese,and Pumpernickle bread...and Rye.
I love that stuff.

July 12, 2007 4:49 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Oh, man, you come sit over here by me. Wanna beer?

July 12, 2007 5:05 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

hell yeah I want a beer!
Great turnout ya got here..dibs on tickling rosie's nose.

July 12, 2007 5:13 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Thanks, Sling. And here you go. Oh, and I've got some stone ground mustard for your deli platter. I think you're going to have to arm wrestle The Hat for the priviledge of ticking off Rosie. I so do not want to be around you guys when you do this...

July 12, 2007 5:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Is that a cork screw in my ass or is this couch just happy to seat me?
THANK YOU THANK YOU
I'll be here all night laydees and joyms.

July 12, 2007 5:51 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Oops, I was looking for that. Have a bandaid.

July 12, 2007 6:50 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

...that could get infected Hat..better let me have a look at that.

July 12, 2007 7:19 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

I don't know about loving the heat of summer, but I do love the Dorian Gray reference.

July 12, 2007 7:21 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

Ya'll know what I'm bringin'.

Gumbo and big bottles of malt liquor.

July 12, 2007 7:22 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Sling, that is soooo not hydrogen peroxide...

Ooh, gumbo! Made it yourself, did you, Iwanski? Shall I read you a little Oscar Wilde while you dish that up?

July 12, 2007 7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Man! What was in that gazpacho?
Seriously though, shouldn't Rosemary have woken up by now?

July 12, 2007 7:35 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Well, her chest is moving...hey! Are these Twinkie wrappers? She was so holding out on us! Somebody wake her up. She's got some 'splainin' to do.

July 12, 2007 7:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I think the heat is just too dern hot for folks to come over. But these nice little get togethers have a more intimate feeling. I think. So that's all good.
(I am however noticing that not one person touched my clamdip)
And we all know how desperately I've been wanting my...no.
I just won't go there.

July 12, 2007 10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Hi, I'm kinda new to the neighborhood, but I noticed y'all are having what sounds like a hella fun party. I was supposed to take this three-inch-thick white chocolate and raspberry cheesecake to another shindig, but the hosts got called away at the last minute and had to cancel...say, is that clam dip?

July 12, 2007 10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I'm bringing my typical pot luck salad:

1 head iceberg (shut up) lettuce, diced into 1" cubes
6 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
1/2 c crumbled blue cheese
1 avocado, diced
1 large tomato, diced

Put the cut up iceberg lettuce (the only time I use iceberg) into a big round bowl. Starting with any of the other ingredients, make four evenly spaced wedges out of each on the top of the lettuce so it looks like a big pinwheel. Present to the guests for oohs and aahs. Make a simple olive oil vinagrette and toss the whole shmeggegie together.

Quite yum if I do say so myself.

xo nayb

July 12, 2007 10:32 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Hot clam dip is scary, Hat. But the chips were yummy. Hey, did Rosie wake up yet?

Syd! Dahling! Bring that cake right on in here.

Neighb...hmmm, interesting...sounds yum and yet, oddly, it's never actually made an appearance at any actual fete...two words...Labor. Day.

HAT! Get away from the clam dip and come have some of this cake!

July 12, 2007 11:22 PM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

ooh, couscous with tomatoes, English cucumbers, basil, feta, and my own special olive oil/balsamic mix drizzled on. Red peppers for the grill. Black Dog Ale. Is there any cheesecake left? What's that all over Rosemary's ear? Hat, what's with the gauze pads and duct tape?

July 13, 2007 1:27 AM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

PS: And Jello Shooters. Especially lime.

July 13, 2007 1:32 AM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

Weird when it is hotter in the great Northwest than it is in sunny south Florida. Only 95 here yesterday.... of course that continues for about 3 months here instead of a one day occurence.

k

July 13, 2007 6:16 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

Forty one responses?!? You are soooo Pop-ular!

With it being that hot and not having air conditioning, I SO would have checked into the nearest hotel for the night.
Really. Done that.

July 13, 2007 6:58 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

AH! The reinforcements have arrived! Perfect timing, Cowbell, I had a weird jones for some salad with feta in it! (slams a shooter) Yummy! As for Rosie and the Hat, it all started when...

Are you mocking, K? Better not be or you're going to be put on clean-up detail. Now scooch over her with me and Cowbell and tell me what's new.

Oh, Jon, please! It's all about popular.
it's not about aptitude,
it's the way you're viewed,
so it's very shrewd to be,
very very popular like ME!

(Of course, answering every comment with another comment really, really helps). Could you pretty please make me another watermelon dac?

July 13, 2007 7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

And none of that frozen cranberry stuff, either, dooder! We're all not drunk enough yet! *grin*

(Oops, did I reveal your secret, dooder? *tee hee*)

-MHP :)

July 13, 2007 9:37 AM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

Hey y'all [groggily rubs sleep out of her eyes, looks for shoes and shirt].

I just forgot to say last night, in the midst of all the partying, that your take on the heat has restored my faith in PNW humanity. Wise and reasoned perspective, right there. Perspective, people, it's all about perspective. I may just print this shit out and hand it to the next bitch-whiner I run across when it hits 78. You are a friggin' sage.

July 13, 2007 12:33 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

I am really pissed off. Angela...you know you are in trouble when I use your Christian name....you are grounded until 2011. If I EVER find out who put this slop in my hair and then TAPED it down, you know what is gonna fly. I did not eat an entire box of twinkies, I loath twinkies, it was rice crispy bars that I treid to hide. and so what if I ate them all...everything else had cholesterol in it.

July 13, 2007 1:11 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

MHP: He puts cranberry in those things???

Cowbell: Well, you may thank me for my sage and sane perspective but what you really should be grateful for is that I kept The Hat from putting your bra in the freezer.

She's your kid, Rosie.

July 13, 2007 1:44 PM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

Oh! so THAT'S how my shirt got in there! Damn it, Hat, and what's with the duct tape on Rosemary?! That tape was supposed to be holding down the gauze that was covering your wound from the corkscrew!

July 13, 2007 4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Lorraine,

Sorry--I'm a little late in responding...let's just say that when you run out of watermelon, Uncle Buck knows what to substitute for it!! *grin*

-MHP :)

July 14, 2007 4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home