Monday, July 23, 2007

Exciting Things

I slept in this morning, for the first time all summer. And that includes Chicago because when I was getting up at 8am in Chicago it was really 6am my time. But that's not the exciting thing.




Some of our best friends, Stina and Dave, have moved back to the city.

This is huge.

I believe I've mentioned that a number of our friends have, over the years, succumbed to the 'burbs, by virtue of the fact that housing prices being what they are in Seattle, it usually makes sense. That is, if you have a small house here, that you bought at the end of the last century, when such things were still do-able, and you're family gets bigger, you simply can't sell the little house and buy a bigger one in town. Oh, sure, you can sell the little house for a ton of money. It just won't be enough to buy a bigger house, assuming you can find one you like. And so the flight. We've waved goodbye to at least 3 families due to this circumstance and 2 other couples we know just didn't even bother trying. And really, why should they? If you can buy a huge house with a big yard out north for the same money as you can get a little ol' bungalow in town, you'd do the same thing.

But still, it's been sad. And the reality has been that if someone lives a 30+ minute drive away, depending on traffic, well, it just does a number on spontaneous, "hey, what are you guys doing tonight, wanna come over for pizza" sorts of get-togethers. Suddenly, your social interaction is all about calendars and planning and making the trip. It's silly, but there it is. And of course, if you love people enough, you make the effort. Of course you do. But it's still not the same thing.

But Dave and Stina decided that the 'burb thing wasn't for them. Partly because they kept their kids in their Seattle (private) school, never really found a "backup" church they were happy with and because Dave still worked in Seattle, too. Lots of driving. And with gas prices what they are... They pretty much either had to move all their live to the north end or come back. And they decided to come back. And they are now a mere 10 minutes away.

Stina called this morning with a "Howdy, Neighbor!" and it made me so happy I almost cried. She's currently living in complete chaos, surrounded by boxes and not sure where to start. I'm wicked good at organizing. So I said I'd be happy to come help her create a few little corners of order. Yippee! (I love doing that stuff).

The Child spent the night with her Godmom, so I'm going to go spend the morning welcoming the kids back to the 'hood. It's a good day.





The woman The Child and I liked from the start in The Next Food Network Star competition won last night. Yay Amy!



I have someone I can talk with about Harry Potter VII. I'm so happy.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Happy news indeed! And didn't you just know Amy would win? I was glued to my TV last night, loved that show.
Also - hello gay lovers?
Paul + Jag carved into a little marzipan tree.

July 23, 2007 10:53 AM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

Hey, that's good news! You aren't kidding about housing prices here. I bought my first house (north) -- a teeny-tiny 1 bathroom (with teenagers, are you friggin' kidding me?!) deal, that I was hoping would continue to skyrocket in price as houses had been doing. Of course, the first Sunday paper I got after the move in had the headline, "HOUSING MARKET CRASH!" (Nooooo!) So, nearly a year later, and houses in my neighborhood are languishing for months and months with for sale signs. Scares the crap out of me, I'm in over my head as it is. -sigh- I can not imagine buying in the City these days. How do people do it? Anyway, I'm glad you have your friend near. I have in the U-district -- a mere 12 miles or so from me, but traffic makes it such a bitch we hardly see each other.

July 23, 2007 11:12 AM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

[should read "I have a friend in the U. district..."]

July 23, 2007 11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

It doesn't always happen, but when good friends move back home it is certainly cause for celebration.

July 23, 2007 9:20 PM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

I was for Amie also.... but was afraid that Rory's two large attributes were going to carry the vote for her.... that is until I realized this is the FOOD NETWORK and not ESPN!

July 24, 2007 6:44 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Hat, I was hopeful. I knew I wasn't interested in any show of Rory's. Plus, did you notice how after the announcement she had her back to the camera the rest of the show...I think she was shocked that she lost to Amy. I didn't like her a bit.

Cowbell, we thank God every day that we got in when we did. Our house was so cheap (comparatively) when we bought it that we can ride out any vagaries of the market. But golly. Not to mention, I was watching a show on the Design network and these guys were looking for a house in Connecticut...they were looking for something between 4-500k and yikes! the stuff available in that range was amazing. Way more house than a similar amount would buy here. It's nuts!

JP: I knew you'd understand.

TWISI: Yeah. They've got all the cleavage they need in Nigella. And she's a better cook and, I think, a nice person.

July 24, 2007 7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home