Thursday, December 28, 2006

On the 3rd Day of Christmas, My True Love Gave to Me

A whole lot more lying around.

It's that time of year and I love it. The Spouse takes off the week between Christmas and New Years and rather than filling it with all sorts of activities and adventures, we mostly lie around.
Lying around is good for the soul. If you turn off the VH1, "We Love 1996" show and listen very carefully, you can hear frazzled nerve endings healing. Most of the year is full of planning and doing and going. Which is why we instituted "cat weekends" as a balance to the demands of life. Christmas week is one long "cat weekend".

The Child and I went for lunch yesterday with my friend, June. Funny story; turns out I sent June a birth announcement for The Child but had somehow neglected to tell her I'd gotten married. Plus, because I'd changed my name, she didn't even know who the heck it was sending her a birth announcement. "Well, that's very nice for you," she thought upon recieving it, "But I don't know who you are!". She did figure it out. Eventually.

After lunch, because we both received gift cards for Christmas, The Child and I wandered over to Barnes and Noble for a little book shopping. I got 2 new books. Almost French, by Sarah Turnbull (which is one of those true story sorts of things on the order of A Year in Provence or Under the Tuscan Sun about learning to live in another culture). The other book is Mirror, Mirror by Gregory Maguire, the clever, clever chappie who wrote Wicked.

I am very excited about this, if you can't tell. It has been a long time since I got a new book. It has been even longer since I've spent any time to speak of reading. I know this sounds completely shocking, especially to those of you who know me and know how I love to read. I don't know what happened this year. Maybe it was because I made a new year's intention to spend more time reading and so I immediately, on a subconcious level, rebelled from such rigor. Seriously, I couldn't get excited about any book, not really even ones I'd read before.

But now I have these 2 books, and Barack's new one plus The Neighbor loaned me The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde. I plan to spend a substantial part of my day curled up with one of them.

And maybe I'll sweep the house. Or not.

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Sweeping can wait. Always.

December 28, 2006 10:54 AM  
Blogger barista brat opined...

cat weekends are the best. a full week is even better!

i'm curious to find out if you'll like 'mirror mirror'. 'wicked' was hard for me to get through, too disjointed in my opinion.

and if you are ever looking for a young adult book to read i'd be happy to email you my unpublished ones! (yes i know, shameless self-promotion. sorry.)

December 28, 2006 11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Cats do not sweep. Stay in character.

December 28, 2006 11:40 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Oh, goody. Permission from Mommy not to do my chores!

And you're right, Vangie. Cats don't sweep. What was I thinking?

Brat: I really liked Wicked. And Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister. I keep wishing he'd do a Peter Pan from the viewpoint of Cap'n Hook. I'll let you know how I like Mirror. And when I've worked through my new books I may take you up on the shameless self-promotion!

December 28, 2006 11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

So, is 'Mirror, Mirror' a sequel to Snow White, or a retelling of the original, or not about Snow White, or not about a fairy tale altogether?

'Cuz I might want to read it.

December 28, 2006 12:03 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

JP, According to the back jacket:
"A lyrical work of stunning creative vision, Mirror, Mirror gives fresh life to the classic story of Snow White - and has a truth and beauty all its own".

Who are these book jacket writer people and are they paid by the adjective?

December 28, 2006 12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Can I request that you rename them Dog Weekends? After all, Dog Days are fairly soporific.

December 28, 2006 2:15 PM  
Blogger Lex Lata opined...

McGuire has a good gimmick going--here's hoping he can keep doing it without getting stale. (And the word verification is "wizfik"--pretty cool!)

I got two copies of Mayflower for some reason. I think maybe our friends listen to the same NPR programming.

December 28, 2006 2:25 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

You may so request, Charlie. The phrase abhorent to Scots Glasgowian is firmly embedded in the family lexicon but we can try and root it out and spare you pain and avoid an international incident.

LA, I like it when people fracture fairy tales and he does a particularly good job. Assuming he doesn't just start phoning it in. So far, so good.

December 28, 2006 2:41 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Mirror, Mirror struck a cord. I`m not sure if we have it or if I just seen it on Amazon one day though. Have a fun day of relaxation..

December 28, 2006 4:38 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Cat weekend should be a national holiday!..Naturally,it would be Dog weekend in the Land O'Scotts.

Legal A...How come you get "wizfic" and I get "pernafelgrabe"??..'taint fair I tell ya!

December 28, 2006 5:37 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Grish, Has Betty been spending a lot of time in front of the mirror lately?

Sling, "Pernafelgrabe"? That is a superfantastic word!

December 28, 2006 6:16 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

I too like the idea of a "cat" weekend.

Resolved. Let the Iwanski/MHP cat weekend commence.

December 28, 2006 6:36 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Iwanski, Just don't call it a "cat weekend" in front of Charlie. You know how he gets.

December 28, 2006 7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home