Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Scenes from a Feast, With Guests

Despite earlier fears that the party might be too small, the house filled up very nicely on Christmas.

Dr. Kenny, who used to live one block over, with his daughter and The Child. (He's a Doctor of Philosophy and teaches things like "Politicial Movements of the 20th Century").



















The good doctor's lovely wife, Tiff.



















Our neighbors, Dwayne and Mark, who are building a superfantastic house down the street. And that's Ken & Tiff's son on the couch with The Child. He was about 2 when we met the family. Now he's 10. Kinda freaks me out.















The lovely Karen, sister of Dwayne, who was a delightful guest. This shouldn't have been surprising because her brother is very charming but if I were invited to some strange person's house for Christmas I might feel a little uncomfortable and awkward, liking my comfort zones as I do, but Karen entered right in and seemed to have a nice time and I hope she did because it was very nice having her.














Karen has a 4 year old daughter who is very into Abba and hence I call her Abba Baby. It was fun having a little tiny one in the house at Christmas, especially this one who ran back and forth putting away her toys (?) and used words like "please" and "thank you" (??). She received a baby doll from us, which she looked at with starry eyes and said, "Oh, I love it, thank you!" and then said, "I'd like another present, please". There were only 2 presents, but there were Christmas crackers. That took some of the edge off.














Abba Baby started singing "Mama Mia" and so The Spouse put on our Abba Greatest Hits (because no home that entertains should be without it. Trust me on this). And Abba Baby sang and danced for us.















Then she grew weary of dancing by herself and started asking for partners. The Spouse was game.



















It was a good party.



















Yes, it was.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Renee opined...

Looks like fun.
We do the party cracker thing too. The tissue crowns add instant pizazz.

December 27, 2006 12:22 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I used to make my own crackers, from bathroom tissue rolls. And one year I forgot to make crowns. Oh. The Drama.

December 27, 2006 2:18 PM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

Your parties always look like so much fun!

December 27, 2006 2:38 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Good times!

December 27, 2006 5:26 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Industrial strength smoke and mirrors, Kendall.

December 27, 2006 5:35 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Grish, I know I've said this before but your twinkly little Christmas tree avatar just makes me grin and grin.

December 27, 2006 5:36 PM  
Blogger Renee opined...

Ohmygosh!
We thought we were being so original when we did the toilet paper roll cracker thing. We covered ours with shiny wrapping paper and used those pop champagne bottles as the pull thingies. Crazy!

December 28, 2006 6:43 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Considering that your the only other person I've heard of who made toilet tissue Christmas crackers, I'd say the originality thing is still pretty viable!

December 28, 2006 8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home