Sunday, June 11, 2006

School Picnic


I'm exhausted, my feet are killing me and I'm about to start pullin' on a big tall Mike's.

The picnic ended up not stinking after all. The weather, after days of clouds and rain, turned fair. Better than fair. My SPF 15 was no match for the fairness thereof.

One of the things I just love about our school community is the way people step up. We had done a ton of planning and were on top of all the things we needed to be on top of. But then people started crawling out of the woodwork to supervise games, hand out prizes, make sure people got fed and cleaned up. It was awesome.

The dunk tank was a huge hit, with students taking revenge of teachers and the principal. Then a number of intrepid kids volunteered to be dunked, including The Child, and then got back on line to go again. It was a total blast.

Best of all was how appreciative everyone was. If you've ever coordinated something like this you know what I mean. Too often people come to a carnival or whatever, win their prizes and then beat cleats, as if it all magically just happened. But parents, faculty and kids were busy thanking us for all the hard work and that made it all worth it. I am, however, really looking forward to sleeping through the night tonight. And I'm making The Spouse grill the steaks for dinner. Mama needs to kick back now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I'm guessing that you're a medium-rare kind of steak gal. Am I right?

June 11, 2006 7:46 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Jon, That'd be a "duh".

June 11, 2006 9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home