Saturday, June 10, 2006

Saturday Musings

Turns out King Juan Carlos of Spain is also the King of Jerusalem. Shouldn't he be more hands-on?

How did I get on a prospecting list for a book club called "American Compass: The Conservative Alternative"?

I was clearing a potential hot spot from the dining room table when I discovered the above mailing. Do you have any idea how disturbing it is to see Ann Coulter first thing in the morning? Without caffiene? Her new diatribe book is called Godless: the Church of Liberalism but the cover is designed so that the word "Godless" is in really big print under a picture of Ann looking all slinky. And that's pretty funny. (Would have been funnier if the word was 'souless"). But I still didn't like seeing her first thing. Or ever.

Woke up in the middle of the night worrying about the stinking picnic. So dumb. Although now that I'm up I certainly do have to check some things off my list, like tally the votes for Volunteer of the Year and make sure we have beverages. I don't think anyone was in charge of beverages. Not good. Oh, and is anyone available to staff one of the carnival booths? Thanks, I appreciate it.

I have to mend a skirt for The Child that has been in my mending stash for months. (Not a huge fan of the mending). She wants it for her campaign speech. Gotta do that.

Amid all the Must Do's and Did I's here's something else I've been thinking about: writing. Specifically:

a) Writer Friend was very generous with his response to my manuscript and also noted quite accurately the one glaring thing I got too tired to fix but knew needed work. Which means I still need to fix it but he gave me thoughts on how to do that so I'm not so daunted. Still kinda sick of the project, but there you go.

b) I have work under final consideration for a book on being a "real mom" and yesterday the editor wrote to ask if I might submit some more material on a couple of specific questions. That was kinda exciting.

As you well know, this has been the year when I've finally taken myself seriously as a writer. Which means this is the first summer that I've been a writer. Summer. It would be real easy to say that I have to be more present to The Child and that my days won't be my own, blah blah. Partly true. Also true that I want to be summertime lazy and sleep in and all that as much as anyone else. But this summer won't be like the last 12. The only way to continue the flow of this whole glorious, unfolding writing thing is to preserve the early mornings. Those hours between 5:30 and roughly 8:30 will be the only assured time to write without interruption. So no weekday sleeping in pour moi. Funnily, I'm just fine with that.

Now I gotta resolve the great Picnic Beverage Crisis of '06.

11 Comments:

Blogger Nicole opined...

Can (and I don't mean may) I be a real mom too?

June 10, 2006 11:30 AM  
Blogger Amy opined...

oh exciting exciting ! - lorraine is a writer, lorraine is a writer... neener neener neener

June 10, 2006 11:42 AM  
Blogger Display Name opined...

(Just Angela resumes her seething jealosy of Supermom/Writer Lorraine)
Oh and serve lemon drops. Nice summery picnic beverage, don'cha think? Non-alcoholic version is called Mormon Punch here in Utah (bleck!) Fill a punch bowl with 7-Up and dollops of lemon sherbet plops floating all over in it. Kids seem to really love it, and the grown up's can just splash a lil' Vodka (or Wudkuh in it's native vernacular) for a kick. Now, if that doesn't just scream Picnic fun than I don't know what will.

June 10, 2006 12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I'm so proud. Seriously. These tears aren't fake.

June 10, 2006 2:21 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Charlie, It starts at noon. Come on by.

Nicole, Ha! You're as real a mom as they come.

Thank you, Amy. Neener neener.

JA: Knock it off. And the punch sounds dandy although we're not doing anything near so High Church. It might, however, be the perfect pick-me up for me to pick up AFTER the shindig!

JP: Stop it, ya big baby or I'll put on my ballet slippers and sing "Uptown Girl" in your general direction.

June 10, 2006 4:17 PM  
Blogger Otilia opined...

I always left the mending until the kid out-grew the clothing item. Works wonders.

June 10, 2006 6:52 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Ah, Edy, I will sit at your feet and learn from you. Brilliant.

(Won't work in this particular case because she is rather wedded to this skirt...very BoHo and all that...but generally speaking, brilliant).

June 10, 2006 6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

To my surprise they did not sing "Piano Man" even though it had "encore" written all over it. They did sing "Uptown Girl", and it was one of the highlights of the entire show. So bring on those ballet slippers and do your best. And then I'll cry even more, because you can write and sing AND dance, and that will make me so proud that I'll probably explode.

June 11, 2006 12:24 AM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Glad to hear your review/writer friend's response went so well!

June 11, 2006 12:58 AM  
Blogger Sling opined...

cool!...I'm gettin' a vicarious thrill from the whole getting published thing.

June 11, 2006 2:07 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Thanks, Sling!

June 11, 2006 5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home