Wednesday, June 21, 2006

June 21st

The family server is behaving stupidly and as a consequence I can't open my email, Quicken or Word. Me no likey. This technical glitch is getting in the way of my productivity as is having The Child home. The school-year groove was quickly retired to a bottom drawer with The Child's uniform. And while it has only been a few days since school let out and we are in a to-be-expected adjustment period, we need to find a groove before these fleeting golden days turn right back into fall.

Ah, but my inner Celt is rejoicing. Today is the first day of summer.

And pomp, and feast, and revelry,
With mask, and antique pageantry,
Such sights as youthful poets dream
On summer eves by haunted stream.

—John Milton, L'Allegro (1631)


We don't have a haunted stream or even a stream, but pomp and feast are on the docket. Our annual Solstice Feast is on Saturday and I haven't an idea what to serve. Our guests for this dinner are the same as for the Autumnal Feast and they must be pleased! Which is to say that they are enthusiatic eaters with discerning palates who appreciate the effort. The best sort of people to cook for.

(Note: Spouse, do not leave comments with menu ideas. Cardinal Sin reads this blog and you know how I like the menu to be a surprise).

Right. I have to try and reboot the server again so I can read my old Summer Solstice menus and make sure Quicken is up to date. Then I'll look for my summer groove. It's around here somewhere.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Nicole opined...

It was a little family dinner for us. I did use the nice dishes and lit a pretty candle for the table. We had oven fried chicken, green beans with warm lemon vinaigrette. St. Félicien for cheese and Blueberry Pie for dessert. Boy1 helped with the pie. I told them it was Solstice Festival. Boy1 said, why don't we do this every year? Why not indeed. You're an inspiring person Lorriane.

June 21, 2006 11:52 AM  
Blogger Eric opined...

My mother had an old Betty Crocker oven fried chicken recipe that was the bomb. Seasoned flour (Salt, Pepper, paprika) cut up a Stick of butter and melt it till it starts to brown in a 350 F oven. Coat chicken and place in pan. cook 20 - 25 minutes per side. The smell takes me back to sunday afternoons as a small child watching Tarzan Theater on TV waiting for dinner.
I Know honey, lets make that!

June 21, 2006 1:13 PM  
Blogger The Piper's Wife opined...

It's so nice to know that other people are confounded by things like the "family server". In my day the "family server" was usually the youngest child, or in my case, the only child. And, come to think of it I was often rebooted when I didn't work :-)

June 21, 2006 1:16 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

I've never considered having Solstice feasts that's a grand idea...

June 21, 2006 5:17 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

Sounds like a fun time. Will there be wine or beer too?

June 21, 2006 6:47 PM  
Blogger Eric opined...

Not likely beer but Oh how the wine shall flow

June 21, 2006 7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Just a couple of ideas:

Homard cardinalize (i.e., lobster plunged into boiling water to make it a satanic scarlet, reminding us how close Cardinal Sin is to hell), garnished a la cardinal (where is that pesky accent aigu?!!!)--that is, with coquilles cardinal, truffle slices and mushrooms--plus, on its claw, a tiny ruby ring to kiss.

For dessert, Peaches Cardinal (Hey, that's my gig! Or possibly my, ahem, NIECE).

Sound too austere?

Must practice my papal wave. I mean, who knows, it COULD happen.

June 22, 2006 10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home