Friday, March 24, 2006

Random Thoughts


I shoplifted a toothbrush today. I was a criminal for about 1 minute before I realized what happened, went back inside Safeway and paid for it. And while the checker seemed to think it was a fairly noble act, it was not one of the more deeply fraught moral dilemmas of my life.

I can't find our tweezers. I also misplaced one of our remotes (the one that controls aspect ratios on the Big Ass TV) .

Had an interesting conversation last night with The Neighbor's Mother, who is house-&-dog sitting while The Neighbor galavants in Europe. We talked about books, travel and art. She was surpised and disappointed when she saw the "Mona Lisa" because it was so small. I had a similar experience on seeing "Starry Night", although I was amazed, not disappointed. We shared stories of a similar experience while travelling in Europe when we became aware of how much older European culture is. (You know it is older, of course, but then you hear a tour guide say something like, "On your right, Westminster Abbey, where kings and queens have been crowned for over 1000 years" and it hits you that America is still so young. Too young to be bossing the world around. Rather like a 2 year old running a family). That segued into a brief discussion of the notion of 'empire' and then this elegant woman, widely read, widely traveled, with truly great hair and firmly in her 7th decade of life went off on the Bush Administration. I can't tell you how gratifying it was.

My friend Julie is shopping around for one of those balance balls because her physical therapist wants her to use it instead of a desk chair. Doing so will apparently strengthen her back and abs and improve her posture. She suggested I think about getting one, too. While the thought of improving my abs without benefit of sit-ups is tempting, I cannot, between The Child and The Dog, imagine a large ball staying at my desk for any length of time.

I am feeling soggy of mind and spirit today. You know what cures that for me? Firing up some Springsteen, tidying up and having ice cream. Finding the bloody remote would be nice, too.

1 Comments:

Blogger Iwanski opined...

That woman stole a toothbrush!

Swarm! Swarm!

March 24, 2006 3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home