Tuesday, January 24, 2006

To Infinity and Beyond


Disney is acquiring Pixar for $7.4 billion.

I don't have a universal loathing of Disney. I cut my teeth, so to speak, on "The Wonderful World of Disney" and will admit to counting some Disney films on my personal Top 100 Films list. I about plotzed when I saw the stage version of "Lion King". But still. There was always something so wonderfully renegade about Pixar. This business deal consequently leaves me a smidge disappointed.

But hey, according to the deal John Lasseter will be the head creative Honcho of Everything and Steve Jobs, who just can't seem to make a buck, gets a mess o' stock. Which suggests that, since Disney needed this deal more than Pixar did, the quality of films we've come to expect from Pixar will not diminish. At least not immediately. This is important to me as The Child is still their demographic.

So slap a set of mouse ears on the bouncing desk lamp. The times, they are a 'changin'.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home