Monday, November 28, 2005

Harry Potter, Memes and a Movie Review






Meme (noun): A unit of cultural information, such as a cultural practice or idea, that is transmitted verbally or by repeated action from one mind to another.

I have been trying to understand the concept of the meme. What I know for sure is that it rhymes with "dream". I get that, as a gene passes along genetic material, a meme transmits ideas. Or something like that. So I'm wondering if an example of a meme would be the fact that everyone who saw the first Harry Potter film was saying things like, "That is exactly how I pictured Quidditch!"

While I continue to get this concept through my thick skull, I'd like to reflect on the phenomenon of the Harry Potter franchise. It would be easy to be cynical. Something that is hyped this much has to be Paris Hilton, completely devoid of substance. But in the case of the Potter books and films, the emperor is in fact fully clothed.

I have loved all the books, each more than the last. As a writer I hold JK Rowling in complete and utter awe. She could have so phoned in the later books...they would have sold if they'd been half as good as the first. But instead she's shown true artistry and commitment. She is faithful to her characters, her fictive world and her audience. The first book, in fact, pales in comparison with subsequent titles. The sixth book was the best yet. For creating a new series of classics and for doing so with integrity, she deserves to be the richest woman in Great Britain.

The movies, which were inevitable, have followed a similar course. The directors and producers have managed to be faithful to the text, thereby assuring the loyalty and ticket sales of a massive audience. It is hard for me to separate the two but I think the movies stand alone. (Not that you wouldn't want to read the books). And like the books, each movie has gotten better. The little kids have grown into competent actors. The technology of our day allows the magical world of Hogwarts to be realized as fully as an author could hope.

We went to the Columbia City Cinema Friday night to finally catch the latest HP film. "The Goblet of Fire" is a huge story and the screenwriters did an excellent job of cutting out the extraneous bits while capturing all the material that moves the story. So much of the landscape of the next two books is established in "Goblet". First we have the tensions and challenges of being adolescent. Rowling has done a bloody brilliant job at getting inside teenage hormones and angst. The Yule Ball is the catalyst for this with the pressures of getting a date and confronting feelings (Hermione rocks). It is the complication of teen rebellion and relationships which, in subsequent books, both help and hinder the big picture. And the big picture, as "Goblet" makes clear is that being Harry Potter, "the boy who lived", has become a high stakes game.

Several words about casting:

a) I still miss Richard Harris as Dumbledore but it's not Michael Gambon's fault.

b) The regular cast are all pitch perfect (Maggie Smith, Alan Rickman...I mean, come on, who else could play McGonagall and Snape)?

c) As I said, all of the youngsters are really starting to develop some chops and are maturing nicely. (Not to mention that when Daniel Radcliffe took off his shirt to get into the bath there was an audible sigh in the theatre. Which was two-thirds adults).

But d), where the casting folks have shown particular brilliance is in the revolving cast: the likes of Kenneth Branagh, Emma Thompson and Julie Christie playing tasty little parts, making a big impact in a few scenes. "Goblet of Fire" is no exception. Miranda Richardson scores in the juicy part of Rita Skeeter, the epitome of a yellow journalist. Plus, we get Ralph Fiennes, with creepy, snake-like make-up as Lord Voldemort. Who better to play Pure Evil than the guy who nailed "sadistic Nazi" in "Schindler's List"?

One of these days I need to bust a move and go see a "grown up" movie in a theatre. (Although I guess that Netflix and a big screen TV seem to be working well enough). But for my $8 "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" did not disappoint. I can't wait until it's out on DVD.
The Film Czarina gives "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" 4 out of 5 Koihead.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Molly opined...

You make me want to go see it again!! I have to admit I was a little disappopinted. I was hoping they would keep more stuff in there. But I was definitely one of those who sighed when Daniel Radcliffe took off his shirt! Quite thoroughly enjoyed that!!!

November 28, 2005 4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home