Saturday, November 26, 2005

Ta Da!


Today I fooled around with html for the first time. The Spouse had to show me how to do it and it was, like so many other instructional moments in my life, fairly meaningless. To whit, I am one of those people who doesn't learn from explanation. I have to do it to get it, which has resulted in something of a magpie approach to learning. I pick up the pretty, shiny bits that I need and leave the rest, very often failing to fully comprehend the beauty, complexity or subtlty of a subject. This is true even of those subjects which interest me. And while I have sometimes arrived at a deeper understanding of a subject the truth is I'm pretty much of an academic dillitante. But getting back to the point, I'm married to a geek and don't need to understand html, like, ever.

I got what I wanted, which is to edit the "links" in my sidebar so I can showcase the other blogs I read in case you want to look at them, too. Such a simple little thing and yet it took me down quite a path:

It started simply, benignly enough. What is required to make it onto my list? The Spouse found out the hard way. He has a blog but I didn't list it, which I'm sure gave him a boo boo face. But while he has a blog, he rarely posts. And I don't see the point of a blog that isn't fairly current. Another rule that emerged is that I didn't link to some of the younger bloggers I know because I feel protective of them.

I have been thinking for weeks about adding a list of links to my blog. I knew which ones I would include. They are all, in my opinion, funny and/or well-written and/or insightful. I check them every day. I talk about them to others. So why, when faced with the template screen did I suddenly start feeling angst? Was it the worry that just because I like them doesn't mean you will? What difference does that make? Say it ain't so, that here I am, 48 years old and still prone to worrying about what other people think of me? Ei yi yi. And so I say to you, I read these blogs not because they are pure and perfect but because each one in it's own way does something for me. So there. Read 'em or not. I don't care.

But here's the thing, the true source of the angst was in an even more ridiculous place. You want to know why I really was hesitating? That's right! Because what if you read the other blogs and think, "Holy MOG, where has this magnificent piece of literature been all my life?" Bottom line: I'm petty and selfish and insecure and I want everyone to like me best. Competitiveness masquerading as insecurity. So is there a Pulitzer for Blogging? If I read a really good book I would recommend it to you. I tell everyone I know to watch "Gilmore girls". Why wouldn't I recommend a blog? Over myself I will now be getting.

Such small things can lead you down a path of self-discovery. Ok, not really self-discovery because I've known about that competitive/insecure thing for a while now. But it did get me thinking once again about the whole process of writing and about the road blocks I set up for myself. Why has it taken me 10 years to finish the liturgy book? Is it the demands of motherhood and activism? No. Is it writer's block, a lack of research or material? No. Bottom line, it is the fear that no one will be interested in what I've written because someone else has done or will do it better. Deep in my heart still lurks the notion that there can only be one definitive book on any particular topic and since surely it has been written there isn't any point to mine.

The lameness of this mode of thought should be apparent. What if Evelyn Waugh had thought that about Charles Dickens or Anne Tyler about Jane Austen. OnceWar and Peace got written did that mean that no one else could ever again tackle that subject? Isn't that really the amazing thing about literature and in fact all creative endeavor? There isn't one great painting or great book, great album or great movie. Further, you have AFI lists and the NY Times Best Sellers and Rolling Stone magazine's "100 Albums of All Time", you have great libraries and museums housing amazing works of art and while the word "masterpiece" is bandied about often, there is still room for subjective opinion. Everyone may agree objectively that "Mona Lisa" is a masterpiece. Doesn't mean everyone would actully hang it in their home.

Which is all to say that my greatest demon from a creative point of view is not wanting to do something unless I can do it superlatively. Which is a really ridiculous way to live.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Hey there. Tired of trying to keep up with prolific bloggers that are constently cranking out material. Then this blog is for your. I rarely post but when I do it is mediocre.
But there are pictures

November 26, 2005 11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

thanks for the link! i'll mail your check on monday.

November 26, 2005 1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I submit this for your consideration...

http://blogs.nbc.com/office/

BBBMaaartinez

November 28, 2005 1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home