Thursday, September 29, 2005

The Ripple Effect and How I Freaked Out the Child


My latest personal revelation (man, they are coming fast and furious lately) is that I can no longer commit to "Law and Order". It's not just that I miss Lennie Brisco. I can't stay up until 11pm anymore. Not if I'm going to get up before 6am to work out. Here's what happened today.

Because I stayed up late last night, I was too tired to get up when my alarm clock went off. This had three effects: 1) I stood up The Neighbor, 2) I didn't do anything toward mitigating my ab issues and 3) I didn't get my running start on the day.

Because I didn't get a running start on my day, I was trying to write checks for picture day and hot lunch, fix breakfast, make lunches, get dressed and pull together stuff for my Thursday meeting all while paying attention to The Child, who wanted to practise her presentation for a hurricane fundraiser that she was going to pitch to her class today.

Because I was trying to do all this in a 40 minute period The Child was compelled to make the following observation: "You seem rushed". Which stopped me for a moment as I realized that this was new to her. Regardless of how I sometimes feel to the contrary, I do not typically portray to my child the qualities of being rushed. Which is an infinately good thing. I had 2 seconds to feel good about that before resuming the rushing.

Because I was rushing, I disappointed The Child. She wanted to load the cartons of dog biscuits that Costco donated for her fundraising venture to take to school. At 7a.m. I told her we would. At 7:42a.m., when we were already supposed to have been on the road for 2 minutes, I told her it would have to wait until tomorrow. And she got a little testy with me, saying, "Sometimes, Mom, you really frustrate me!"

Let's leave aside, for a moment, that The Child provides, from time to time, her own measure of frustration to my life and that many has been the time that I've been held up or thwarted by her piddling about. Something in her expression made me stop and rather than getting angry I calmly said, "Tell me more".

This freaked her out. At first she started almost yelling at me. I stopped her, told her to use a calm voice, but that I really did want to hear how I frustrated her. She almost couldn't speak for a moment. Then, very calmly, she said, "I get frustrated when you say we're going to do something and then all of a sudden you change the plan". I don't know what sort of Dr. Phil trip I was on but I told her that she was right to be frustrated by that and then, instead of making excuses or going to that stupid "well, plenty's the time when you've frustrated me" place I apologized to her. I noted that sometimes plans do have to change and that sometimes things like that will happen anyway but that I would try, really try to do a better job.

And I can make that promise because, as I told her, the biggest problem this morning was that I neglected my own routine. When I do what I need to for a good start to the day we have, well, a good start to the day. My morning routine, clearly, is the lynchpin of my existence. Duly noted. The criminal justice system in New York City is just going to have to get along without me.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

My body can't afford to miss working out so I have sadly given up all post-10 pm TV. You'll get over it -

XO The Neighbor, avec scarf

September 29, 2005 12:22 PM  
Blogger Molly opined...

Well, aren't you just the best mother that ever walked the planet! It's very rare when I stop to listen to what I may being do wrong or how I may be frustrating someone. To listen with an open heart and open ears is a true gift. It takes patient and a cool temper. I'm amazed. You're phenomenal!

October 01, 2005 9:18 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

You really really oughta check out Tivo either in its Tivo or Directv tivo form I am able to watch my after midnight late late and later shows, 24, Stargate 1 & 2, Battlestar Galactia, CSI and whatever else it picks up just whenever even at 8 o'clock in the morning if I have time. I just watched the Macy's Day Parade in like the third day of February as background noise while I was working. hehe -:) Grish

March 06, 2006 9:04 PM  
Blogger chor chindi opined...

How To Create Gmail New Account / Gmail Sign Up (www.Gmail.com Sign Up)
gmail registration
Love for Mothers and Daughter Quotes in English

May 17, 2016 5:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home