Wednesday, September 21, 2005

14 Years Ago Today...


I woke up to fog so thick you couldn't see the building across the street. My mom made me a bowl of oatmeal and insisted I eat it. I was drinking mimosas. All my best girls were over, doing their nails and primping. My other best girl, Johnny, was over glamming my hair and Payson had arrived to capture the proceedings on film. I wore a white silk robe and the George and Barbara Bush slippers my staff had given me for Christmas the year before. There was music and laughter and the girls gave my mom a complete "day of beauty".

At about noon the fog began to lift, to reveal an absolutely perfect fall day, which was appropriate given that it was the first day of autumn. It was sunny but brisk. Overnight the leaves had started to turn color.

Flowers were delivered, bouquets of alstomeria and roses. I headed into the bedroom to don my off-the-rack Laura Ashley dress, a design loosely modeled on the dress Diana wore when she married Charles.

Fourteen years ago I walked with aforementioned girls to the Cathedral while they sang "Going to the Chapel". A single leaf fell through the air and landed right at the toe of my pristine white shoe.

Fourteen years ago I walked down the long aisle of the Cathedral to "Coro" from Handel's Water Music and married my pookie, promising in front of God and everybody to love him forever. And fourteen years later, go figure, I still do.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I left a comment earlier. I said Me too fluffy, Me too.

September 21, 2005 1:28 PM  
Blogger Sara Hansen opined...

Thats a pretty awesome thing to write about..I mean, its like a mini love story. Except with all the detail and captivation still in it. Good work. You make me happy, lol.

September 24, 2005 6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home