Friday, September 23, 2005

I Wasn't Going to Do This

This morning at coffee my friend Pat said I should so I will.

I like the even numbered years. It's not that the odd numbered ones have been uniformly horrible but if I think about it, the best things usually happen in the even years. 15, for example, I wouldn't do again for any amount of money but 16 was ok. 17 really stank but 18 not so much. 21 was probably one of the hardest years of my life but 22 was much better. And so it goes. There have been exceptions. I was 33 when I got married and that was a good thing. But The Child was born when I was 36. So for the most part, the pattern holds. Somehow the even years just seem softer, rounder. I like the way they sound. I like that they are divisible by 2. There no logical or empirical reason for it. It is purely subjective.

So there you are. Today I am 48, which sounds really good to me. I am very content with my life, happy with the structure of my days, thankful for the wonderful, wonderful people who populate my life (and really, I could devote an essay a day to each one of them and I wouldn't have to look for anything else to write about for months and months. I am really, really blessed in my friendships). So happy birthday to me! (And to Bruce Springsteen, the Boss, who is 56).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

HMM, It could be argued that we are in the beginning of your 49th year.
So perhaps you like the odd ones after all. I mean Look at the guy you married.

September 23, 2005 2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Well happy damn birthday - If I'd remembered I'd have had the gals at Curves sing to you this morning at 6 am - lovely posting, hope you had a great day celebrating -

xo yonayb

September 23, 2005 10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home