Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Bloody Mary Tuesday

It started seven years ago. Chou Chou, reacting to the reality of The Child starting Kindergarten said, "I think I need a drink". I agreed. So we began what has become our first-day-of-school tradition. She brings the vodka and her signature Bloody Mary mix, we sit at the table with our cocktails, nibbling on celery and ask the perennial question, "How did this happen?" It's funny that we always seem surprised. Every year seems just as amazing as the one before. "How can The Child be old enough to be in school?" "First grade sounds so old". "Fourth grade! No messing around now?" "Can she really be in fifth grade? I don't feel any older". This year will be just as astonishing...how is it possible that she's starting middle school?

Bless her little pea-pickin' heart, The Child was up at 6:45 this morning, dressed and brushed and gleaming. She ate her breakfast, made her bed and all without any prompting. (Oh, that this should continue!) She described herself as feeling "between" excited and nervous. Then, as we neared school she exclaimed, "Oh!", giggled nervously and said, "My stomach just went 'whoomp'". We pulled up to school and the first people she spotted were three of the "princesses" in her class (I'd still like 15 minutes alone with those brats). I said, "It's ok, babe. You go up and smile, say 'hi' and if they're snotty they can kiss your butt. Of course, you can't tell them that". She laughed, grabbed her 450 pounds of school supplies and strode off into the lion's den.

It is only slightly easier now than it was seven years ago, letting her go out into the world. The Child has had her knocks having encountered, already, far too many "peers" who are anything but...samey samey kids with no moral courage, no spirit, no particular magic. And to a one, these children see the spark in The Child and do everything they can to crush it. Albert Einstein said, "Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." That pretty much sums it up.

But of course, there have been those equally great spirits who know a kindred when they meet one. These are the people who become her friends. And let's face it, if I'm going to have other people's kids in my house I much prefer that they be interesting and full of verve. Life is too short to be surrounded by white bread personalities. I'm just hoping that there will be one or two "whole-grain" spirits in her class this year, a Diana for her Anne.

Meanwhile, I have the house to myself. The hours stretch before me, ample time for both what I have to do and what I want to do. I celebrate the return of school-year routines. I shall toast to them now, with one of Chou Chou's brilliant Bloody Marys.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home