Thursday, February 15, 2007

No, I'm Not Going on Hiatus, Too

Hi. Yes. I'm well aware that it's past 1pm my time and I still haven't posted. It could owe to one, all or a combination of the following:

♦ I woke up at 3am worrying about the school Mardi Gras party, for which I'm sorta kinda in charge. I knew we would have a meeting about it this morning and that I would feel better about everything (and I did) but still. There are always a ton of details to a thing like this and I always want to make sure all the i's are dotted and all the t's crossed. Like a gerbil on a wheel the mind races in circles: Is 3 vats of gumbo going to be enough? It will be if no one shows up. But if no one shows up then we won't make any money and that would bite. But what if a ton of people show up? Does someone have time to go get pizzas? And around and around again.

♦ My whole entire life might be changing. For months I've toyed with the idea of going back to work. In the absence of Graydon Carter stumbling upon my blog and insisting that I become a featured columnist at "Vanity Fair", I've been half-heartedly poking around job listings. The thing is, it would be nice to make some extra money, especially with The Child heading to high school in a few years and people wanting to travel and all that. I've always thought it would be nice to earn the money for school tuition, travel and the occasional new piece of furniture. The hope had been to manage that with writing, even though I know this is not a profession one takes up to become rich.

But then, of course, there are all the implications if I did go back to work, especially as regards writing. I didn't write when I worked full-time before, I was pretty sure I wouldn't again. And after 13 years of setting my own schedule and making my own priorities, the thought of taking some soul-sucking job just for a few extra pesos, not to mention the dramatic change to the way our family operates, well, it just never seemed worth it.

But last week a friend told me about this gig. A gig that, on paper, sounds like the sort of job I'd make up during a round of "Create that Dream Job". A gig that involves both writing and food (hello?), that is located about 5 minutes from The Child's school, that has awesome benefits. (And no, oddly, I have no idea what it pays but since my current salary is $00,000.00 per annum, it's got to be a net gain). It's the sort of job that, were I to get it, would actually fuel my creativity rather than sap it. There would still be time to blog and work on books.

I'm trying not to get excited or invested or any of those things. It's not like I have to get a job this very second. Just because it sounds perfect doesn't mean it is. And I don't want to be anywhere that isn't the right place for me to be. So I'll apply and wait and see and if I get to the next round and remember how to interview and manage to prove to them what an asset I'd be to their company then, hey, great. And if nothing comes of it, at least I got my resume in shape.

So yeah, that's consumed a lot of energy.

♦ What else? Oh, right, we have our annual Carnevale feast on Saturday and I haven't even planned the menu yet. That could be an issue.

♦ Plus, I just had an email from JP saying that more of our videos have gone missing so we are still hating Viacom and have to figure out what we're going to do over at Here's the 80s . Fortunately, the club is all on one level or a certain someone would be on the balcony.

So, sorry. I'll try to do better. Now I have to run down the street after our garbage can because it's super windy right now.

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Red Seven opined...

I will cross many fingers and toes in reference to your job application -- only because if you get the job, you're sure to provide more details and I'm insanely curious.

It's really hard to type, when all your fingers are crossed, by the way. I'm just sayin'.

February 15, 2007 2:53 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

Good luck. I hope the job turns out to be more than perfect.

February 15, 2007 3:28 PM  
Blogger Seattle Coffee Girl opined...

Dare I say it? You may need a Pink Squirrel right about now.

You're doing great, all will be well, and I'm sure three vats of gumbo will be plenty.

Can't wait for Carnevale. Did the flowers arrive today?

February 15, 2007 3:44 PM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

the job sounds perfect...good luck on the hunt!

February 15, 2007 3:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

I have to admit, I was worried that my RSS reader wasn't working when there were no updates to your feed for, like, days. I can't wait to hear more about the maybe possible once-in-a-lifetime job offer thingee!!! Much too cool!

Gumbo! MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

February 15, 2007 4:07 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

I hope you get that dream job lorraine.
Since it involves writing and food,I'm thinkin' you would be THEIR dream applicant.

February 15, 2007 5:05 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Red, Funny, I wrote exactly the same thing in an email to a friend yesterday.

Thanks, Iwanski. Employment always has its catches but some less than others, you know?

Yes, SCG. Or a big glass of wine. Which I will enjoy shortly. With some of your enchiladas. And yes, the flowers arrived and they's gorgeous.

Thanks, Kendall. I appreciate any and all good thoughts.

Gina, I'm obviously going to have to blog in the early morning if I do get this job thingy. Wouldn't want to upset the cosmos.

Sling, Thanks, schweetie. I'd like to think that's how they'll feel about me. You'll need to get working on a signature cocktail should I be successful. Oh, screw that. We'll just pop the good champagne.

February 15, 2007 5:42 PM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

Oooh dearie me... tough decisions.

I'm constantly getting my brain in a twist over the whole work vs. writing thing. Three years ago, I changed jobs because I was utterly fed up with never having time to write. But I was unbelievably fortunate - in my mind, I use the word 'blessed' - in that I found a job which allowed me to keep my foot on the same rung of the financial ladder whilst giving me loads more writing time than I'd ever had before.

I guess basically this is a long-winded way of saying: I think you're doing the right thing. As you say, if this job is right for you, if you're meant to have it, then you'll know.

As for the Carnevale: what about the tiramisu?

February 16, 2007 5:22 AM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

I hope you get the job of your dreams... or hit the lotto!

Dont worry .. it will be lent soon. What are you giving up?

February 16, 2007 6:12 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Thanks for the encouragement, Dariush. And the tiramisu isn't the problem, it's all the bits that come before it!

CM: The timing of this job thing and the coming of Lent has not been lost of me, believe me. As it turns out, my Lenten intentions are taking shape along the themes of mindfulness and , as always it seems, prayer. It's not looking like there's going to be a grand giving up of anything this year so much as lots of tiny reforms. How about you?

February 16, 2007 6:21 AM  
Blogger Pamelamama opined...

Any employer would be lucky to have you. Make them beg!

February 17, 2007 7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home