Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanksgiving Day

It is pouring rain. Audrey Hepburn lives near a creek which is, at the moment, a swollen river roaring in the general direction of the sea. The Child has been warned to stay far away from the banks, as it is her habit to frequent the creek as often as possible when she is here. Not this time.

The foundation for the fragrance of Thanksgiving is being laid, melting butter, celery and onions. The top notes of turkey will be added shortly. Meanwhile, The Dog is playing with Mols and we are listening to Fiona Apple. The Child is out with Uncle and Cousin Nate, getting extra chairs for the dinner table. The Spouse is perusing Audrey's video collection.

I am thankful. I am thankful we are here at all. A 2 hour trip took nearly 4. We were late to dinner and I thought, I really did, that The Spouse was going to have a stroke at the wheel and we were going to careen off the wet, sloppy freeway and crash upside down in the median. Kinda like the one accident we saw that explained at least 1 hour of the torturous 10 mph crawl down frakking I-5. In the HOV lane. It wasn't pretty, friends. The Spouse ascribes to the school of thought which suggests that the more you bang on the steering wheel and swear at your fellow travellers, the faster you will go. You'd have thought, evidence quite to the contrary, that he'd have relaxed int0 the "nothing to be done about it" Zen of it all but no. Next year...well, actually, there's a good chance that there will be a family meeting about next year. Dame Judi is firmly of the opinion that we need to declare our own holiday, sometime in the summer, and give up trying to convene everyone from 4 or 5 points in the worst possible of weather. Early polling suggests that her suggestion will not only reach the floor but be approved by an overwhelming majority. Bi-partisanship, indeed.

I should go see what needs to be done in the kitchen, plus Emma wants to play the Muse for me because she just saw them in concert at the Paramount and they have a song that "totally bashes George Bush", as Mols gleefully put it.

I am thankful for my beautiful neices and my lovely sister.
I'm thankful that everyone is in a perky mood this morning.
I'm thankful that the little play we put on for the folks last night made them happy (although they laughed when we were trying to be poignant).
I'm thankful that my New Jersey Cousin, who is very dear, is going to be here today and that her arrival will be a surprise to some family members.
I'm thankful that my sister is a good cook.
I'm thankful that The Child remembered that I had ordered a pumpkin pie from school so that I was in time to go pick it up since I kept The Child home with me yesterday because we had a lot to do.
I'm thankful that Emma has switched from Fiona Apple to U2.
I'm thankful that my sister has the internets.

Hope you and yours have a lovely day and that there is enough left-over turkey for sandwiches. It's all about the sandwiches.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Happiest of Thanksgivings to you and yours Lorraine! And a safe travel home too please.

November 23, 2006 12:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Hey Lorraine! Happy Thanksgiving to you, The Spouse (who sounds like he's been taking driving lessons from MY Spouse), and The Child. We are enjoying our Canadian vacation, "boys" (Oldest Son, Son-in-Law, and Youngest Son) are playing Madden 2007 on the PS2, grandkids are coloring, both turkeys are in the ovens (yes, two 16 pounders this year), all other dishes are being prepped, and it is cold and snowing lightly outside. We are very thankful too! Drive home carefully!

November 23, 2006 12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Two thoughts;
1)I'm pretty sure banging on the steering wheel and cursing at the other drivers does indeed make for a more expeditious trip..Appropriate hand gestures are also a nice touch....and

b)Happy Thanksgiving lorraine!..er..don't expect the sweater to fit quite so well after today.. :)

November 23, 2006 1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Well I admit that until I find my 'Zen' as you put it I am a lot like the hubby, when it comes to trying to negotiate heavy traffic. Especially in any kind of 'less than ideal weather'.

I am glad to hear you all made it safely and hope that you have a safe trip back.

Happy Thanksgiving..:)

November 23, 2006 3:41 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

You are all so adorable. And Sling, you imply that I ate too much. What? I only had one piece of pumpkin pie. Sheesh.


(celery and mineral water tomorrow)

November 23, 2006 8:19 PM  
Blogger Diane S. opined...

Happy Thanksgiving to you Lorraine! It sounds like it was a lovely holiday.

I'm particularly pleased about Emma wanting to play the Muse for you because they "totally bash George Bush".

Here's to Bush Bashing Holidays! May we all have a few more of them!

November 23, 2006 8:59 PM  
Blogger HORIZON opined...

Happy Thanksgiving Lorraine- your list made me giggle- wonderful time had by all. Have a safe journey home btw. :)

November 24, 2006 2:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home