Monday, April 03, 2006

My Desk

This is where I spend an inordinate amount of time. Allow me to give you a brief tour of those objects (ooh, I avoided using the word "thing") which surround and inspire me day to day.

To begin with, the desk itself. It is made of pine and, as you see, not very big. This keeps me from cluttering it up because otherwise, where would I put my elbows? I love it because it has a red top and yellow drawers and funky flowers for drawer pulls.

Some might suggest that such a small space is too cluttered for it's size. But there's nothing there that I don't love or use. To whit and on the left: the Sacred Frog of Efficiency (which I received after last year's Hood Canal vacay for using the fewest dishes in preparation of a meal (bouillaibaisse, if you must know - for Bastille Day), a framed photograph of The Child in full rain gear, licking rain drops off a table on the deck and the super fantastic glass shoe that had limoncello in it.

To the right, my home girls, who you've met previously.

Above my desk is a tea tray which I use as a magnetic bulletin board (and no, I'm not at all clever. I saw it in a magazine). Chief among the items on it are a magnets of Princess Diana, the Eiffel Tower and Hoover Dam; 2 poems by David Budbill ("What We Need" and "In The Ancient Tradition"), the top (vintage) from a chocolate milk bottle, some random magnetic words, stamps from Italy, the phone number of some new neighbors who need to be invited for cocktails and post-it notes, including one reminding me that I have to send Pat beer and salmon if the Dems don't take back the House this fall. May I add, a) like I'll have to and 2) like he'd let me forget.

Also on my wall are a groovy red clock and a mosaic cross made by my friend Katherine.

Oh, and my screen saver is the label from a bottle of Cotes du Ventoux called La Vieille Ferme which I love because it has chickens on the label but when I tried to soak an actual label off a bottle it wouldn't go so I settled for this instead.

So what's on your desk?

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Grish opined...

Hmmm, your's is much more interesting than mine.I have a desktop computer, my cell phone, 2 sharpies, 1 ink pen, my sunglasses, 4 remotes, 2 cd wallets and my little digital camera, all wrapped neatly in an oak armoire.

April 03, 2006 9:51 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Ooh, an oak amoire...tres chic.

April 03, 2006 10:00 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

J'aime mon armoire.

I think I'll post a pic tonight, very spartan it is. hehe

April 03, 2006 10:44 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Charlie, You're desk sounds very manly, both in it's contents and disorder. The Spouse just recently cleared off his desk in preparation for doing the taxes. I had forgotten it had a top.

It doesn't sound like there is room for a fish, not even a very small and stinky one.

April 04, 2006 6:53 AM  
Blogger Lex Lata opined...

Computer monitor & peripherals. Fish scale (up to 25 lbs). About ten books I'm on the verge of reading. The camouflage Bible I got in the Army (yes, it's really camouflage-covered). Dinosaur toy. Pictures of the boys. Notepads. Index cards. Half a dozen turtle figurines. Baby monitor. Phone. Coffee cup (still warm). Apple juice cup (half full--or is it half empty?).

Fortunately, it's a big, oak, space-efficient Ikea desk.

April 04, 2006 8:50 AM  
Blogger Display Name opined...

At present, my desk is a cherry wood coffee table and my chair is a throw pillow on the floor. But I do still have my goddess soap on the side, some amber flame incense, various gum wrappers and the tiny wasp nest that my nephew gave me because "it's magical and so are you DeeDee". Precious I know.

April 04, 2006 9:09 AM  
Blogger Amy opined...

oh, funky cool and neato... etc. as i told grish... i'll have to clean up the evidence before i can take a pic of my desk

amy

April 04, 2006 9:19 AM  
Blogger Amy opined...

ok, here's my desk
Amy's Desk

April 04, 2006 10:47 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Pat, I figured your desk would look something like that. Why? Because it sounds, down to it's little Ikea heart, like The Spouse's desk. Sans apple juice.

Angela, What sort of gum?

Amy, You did a very lovely job of tidying up. Who knew such good could come from such a silly question?

April 04, 2006 2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home