Friday, March 31, 2006

I'm Married to a Star


The "a" key on my keyboard is sticking. Want to guess how frustrating that is?

Last night The Spouse made some comment about all the bloggy affirmation that I received yesterday. (There was a lot and I was feeling the love. Thanks to all of you. If I'd known what an ego boost this whole blogging thing was going to be I'd have started years ago. But then you'd all be sick of me by now. So I'll take it while I can get it). I was feeling a little pixilated anyway so I made some smart comment along the lines of, "Jealous? Is this going to become one of those Chad Lowe and What's-her-Name relationships? Huh? Huh?"

He looked at me blankly. "You know, like those Hollywood couples like What's-her-name and Ryan Phillipe where the wife gets all the work and no one pays attention to the husband?"

Now, what's funny about this is twofold. First of all, I really couldn't remember the names of the wives who were supposedly more famous. I eventually came up with Reese Witherspoon but all I could think of for Chad Lowe's wife was Hillary Duff and I knew that wasn't right.

The other thing that was funny about it is that The Spouse is pretty much a rock star at Costco. He was involved in a project recently that got him favorable notice from Top Brass. He got a promotion, a raise and is even in some promotional video that they keep showing. (I think he's doing a White Snake cover). More to the point, he's won the bread for this family for the last 12 years. I think I have earned, in total, $2,412 since The Child entered the world.

This is not to say that I don't make my contributions around here. Lord knows that clean underwear counts for something. But I am Chad Lowe to his Hillary Whatever. I don't tell him enough how much I appreciate the lifestyle he's given us, how grateful I am that he made it possible for me to stay home with The Child and how much I adore him for being my biggest fan when it comes to my writing. The only charge I can lay at his feet is that he doesn't fully appreciate my roasted beet salad. But that's a beet thing, not a wife thing.

So I would like to take this moment to formally send a shout out to the greatest guy I've ever been married to and affirm my undying love, support and pride. You are the best, Spouse.

Swank. That's it. Hillary Swank. And I came up with that without IMDbing Chad Lowe.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Otilia opined...

then, here's to the bread-winning never crumbling (fotw) whether it be CostCo, or your nationally syndicated twice weekly column. And speaking engagements, oh, and guest writing on television shows...

March 31, 2006 12:33 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

From your lips to God's ear.

March 31, 2006 12:53 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

Shout out to Spouse.

March 31, 2006 4:04 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

Way to go Spouse.:)

April 01, 2006 6:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home